• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage Scope Brand Binos (1 Viewer)

ras61

Just picked up a pair of these 7x35 porros from the 70's(?) in mint condition for almost nothing, and the quality and view is impressive. It's their "Custom" model 3010 with a light weight body (magnesium?) made by Taisei and assembled by Futaba - according to the stamped codes and for what it's worth. Haven't been able to find much on this brand, but I have an idea that the Custom may have been their TOL offering. In any case, I'm very pleased with this very capable new toy, and would love to hear more about this old brand and model - thanks!

Hi ras,
I can't read the writing, but the prisms are quite large. The eyepieces smallish, so maybe not wide field.
One piece American bodies.
Japan sticker.
Possibly 1960s, the writing would help.
Are the coatings blue or another colour?
What is the weight?

"Fully Amber Coated Optics" on left side, "Field 400 ft at 1000 yds" and "No. D- 4500041" on right. If my calculations are right that would equal 7.6% FOV. Don't know the weight, but they're solid and don't seem light.

Also, like other Scope models, it has a case that's fancier if not more expensive than most other binos of the period. It's leather with a nice metal clasp, and opens from the side with the inside hinging up as you lift.

Also, like other Scope models, it has a case that's fancier if not more expensive than most other binos of the period. It's leather with a nice metal clasp, and opens from the side with the inside hinging up as you lift.

Wow -- I'm more interested in seeing the case than I am seeing the binocular! |:D|

Thanks ras.
Maybe 1970s.
7.64 degrees, so yes 7.6 deg.
I have a case like that, but I can't remember which binocular. Maybe I'll recall it later.
The serial number seems very low, so maybe this is an uncommon binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back