• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Swarovski strap (1 Viewer)

Bubbs

I know this is a really dumb question (yes it is) but after adjusting my new Swaro strap I still have about 10" of the thing flapping all over the place. what do others do with the excess? Perhaps I'm missing something; do you simply cut it to length and tape the ends up....don't laugh.

I spent a few minutes thinking about my response prior to typing, so it really is a reasonable question.

I did not have a problem with extra strap, so I must wear mine a little lower.
Cutting off excess seems like a reasonable option, but if you later pass them on to someone taller, it could be a problem for them.

edj

By all accounts the swarovski strap is considered a bit of a dud!!

I've always used the optek usa binocular straps, cut off the excess and lightly singe the ends with a lighter to stop them from fraying.

Matt

Cheers guys. The strap certainly does not go with the build of the binoculars. Nothing new there then ;)

John.

Cheers guys. The strap certainly does not go with the build of the binoculars. Nothing new there then ;)

John.

Sorry but I think its the best strap on the market. Simple to adjust to the correct length to accomodate the ever variable layers of clothing required here in the UK.

Ive never had an issue with the 'dangly' bits' oooooerrr missus.

One option is to use 2 little pin badges (we seem to collect the RSPB ones) not only will they serve the purpose but also look good and support the RSPB!

In fact thats what I will do right now. A Marsh Harrier one side and a Bittern the other.

Sorry but I think its the best strap on the market. Simple to adjust to the correct length to accomodate the ever variable layers of clothing required here in the UK.

Ive never had an issue with the 'dangly' bits' oooooerrr missus.

One option is to use 2 little pin badges (we seem to collect the RSPB ones) not only will they serve the purpose but also look good and support the RSPB!

In fact thats what I will do right now. A Marsh Harrier one side and a Bittern the other.

The cut & burn method works for me. It's having neoprene stuck to a bare neck on a hot and sweaty day that does me in. Irritating doesn't even begin to describe the way it feels!

The cut & burn method works for me. It's having neoprene stuck to a bare neck on a hot and sweaty day that does me in. Irritating doesn't even begin to describe the way it feels!

Binoculars and ipods......you spend £1,000+ on a pair of bins and you get a
99p strap. You spend £200 on an ipod and get a 99p pair of headphones ;)

Perhaps headphones are a personal thing but a decent strap - that we all agree on - can't be that hard to manufacture.

When I bought my new N**** (!) bins a few years ago, they (Infocus) kindly threw in a free nice new Opticron strap as standard, as the manufacturers branded one was so thin and insubstantial.

Looks like it may be across the board . .

John.

I am not familiar with the Swarovski strap, but the strap supplied with my Leica Ultravids is well made, with the wide part ergonomically shaped to fit fit the neck. A comfortable, quality strap to match quality bins.

Clive.

I replaced my ancient (1981) Zeiss BGat* bins with a new pair of Swaro's. The Zeiss strap was a thin piece of leather akin to a bootlace....ahhhh, the good old days :t:

Aren't most straps now Neoprene or something very similar. My new Zeiss Victory's are, the helios are, the 'RSPB' are. I dont recall using them much on a bare neck here in the UK as we are now officially in the start of an ice age.

This is in fact a very complicated difficult question. What is dumb, is that is should be so. Although I hate to, I will add to the considerable body of literature on this subject.

The answer depends entirely on whether you have one of the older straps, which slips, obviously and fast, or one of the newer, which are said to "not quite" slip, barely maintaining the specified weight and hardly an ounce more.

My wife's 8x5x42 EL unfortunately fell into the first category. In this case, cutting off the rubber-tipped ends to get them out of the way can, and actually has, resulted in the bino slipping free and crashing to the ground.

In the second case, trimming the strap "MIGHT" work, and good luck to you.

I advocate the "cut and burn" method. Cut it up into tiny pieces, and throw them into the fire. Buy a Optec strap, and have "Swarovski Optik" embroidered on it at a local custom sporting goods store that does bowling shirts. Or is bowling something different in England?

But, save the cute little hawks (habichts, I believe). Seems like they could be turned into nice earrings.
Ron

DONT cut and burn the straps. Assuming you have the newer slightly bungee strap, look at the triangular rubber end pieces. They have small holes in them. Carefully push a sharp ended knife (I used a scalpel) alongside the strap into the rubber end piece and saw the stitching holding the rubber end caps on (i.e. between the strap and the holes in the end pieces), which will remove them intact. Cut the straps to your desired length and then sew the end pieces pack on (I used kevlar fly-tying thread), utilising the small holes in the rubber end pieces. If done carefully it makes a very neat finish.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back