• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying from the USA (1 Viewer)

LozSanders

Hello everyone,
After a LOT of looking about I've noticed that the canon 20D is much cheaper if bought off the internet from either ebay powersellers from the US or other US websites but the 'EXTRA CHARGES' i.e. duty and vat are bothering me.

I've read on here somewhere that there is no duty on digital cameras and accessories if inported from the US,can anyone confirm this or has anyone done the same thing?

I thought I'd made my decision with the 10D,but after seeing the prices on the net in america I'd be stupid if I didn't go for the 20D!

I still might wait for the 350D though!

Oh these decisions are driving me mad! Please Help! :C

Not sure about accessories, but when I checked on the TARIC site the other day, digital cameras were still at 0% duty. Oviously you will still have VAT to pay and the shipping may be quite restrictive.

I almost bought a Canon G3 from the USA a while ago, but managed to get a price-match deal from Jessops instead, making it around the same price, so not worth the hassle.

Not sure about Ebay as I never use it, but the import rates should still be the same as from a normal retailer.

LozSanders said:
Hello everyone,
After a LOT of looking about I've noticed that the canon 20D is much cheaper if bought off the internet from either ebay powersellers from the US or other US websites but the 'EXTRA CHARGES' i.e. duty and vat are bothering me.

I've read on here somewhere that there is no duty on digital cameras and accessories if inported from the US,can anyone confirm this or has anyone done the same thing?

I thought I'd made my decision with the 10D,but after seeing the prices on the net in america I'd be stupid if I didn't go for the 20D!

I still might wait for the 350D though!

Oh these decisions are driving me mad! Please Help! :C

Loz

Try this thread
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=28495

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back