• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North London Noctuid ? (1 Viewer)

KenM

This moth was circa 1'' in length and is NOT jumping off the page in Lewingtons...help please.

Cheers

Attachments

• P2040439.jpeg   Noctuid sp.02.jpeg
    P2040439.jpeg Noctuid sp.02.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 31
Could it be a worn Small Square Spot, Ken?

I honestly don't know Graham (worn being the operative word in this case).

I've always assumed rightly or wrongly, that wings are ''shown'' as either a left over, or a right, or as in this case equally parted and are thus set in stone as far as the closed wing is concerned.

I don't know if there is any positional variability on deportment of said wings?

Cheers

I've always assumed rightly or wrongly, that wings are ''shown'' as either a left over, or a right, or as in this case equally parted and are thus set in stone as far as the closed wing is concerned.
I don't know if there is any positional variability on deportment of said wings?
Cheers

The way moths hold their wings is not 'set in stone' - there is no left over right, or right over left that could be sed to distinguish one moth from another (in fact the same moth may show both if kept for a while.

That said, certain subfamilies exhibit a 'general' pattern as far as the wings are concerned. For example, the old subfamily Noctuinae (Euxoa, Agrotis, Noctua, Xestia, etc.) ten to sit at rest with the wings held flat over the body and overlapping slightly. Other noctuids (e.g. Hadena, Mythimna, Thalpophila, etc.), will hold their wings tentiform. Others are less tentiform but delta-shaped.

Similar comments can be made about geometrids (which rest with the wings held delta-shaped (many Larentiines), flat at right angles to the body (Pugs, etc.), or upright (e.g. the Thorns).

The main thing is that there is no hard and fast rule - just generalities.

Hope this helps.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back