• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying grey bird (1 Viewer)

LokiPandieMom

I have a pair of birds that have made a nest in the middle of my mock orange bush out front and I can't figure out what they are. I live in eastern Ontario, Canada, and I've seen the female the most so I'll describe her (although both appear to be somewhat similar in colouring).

She's about the size of a swallow with a slate grey back and head (similar to the colouring of a Junco's back) with a lighter grey belly. No spots or bright colours, just solid greys. They are VERY noisy and have a strange cry, sort of like a cat meow.

I'll try to take a picture later if I can and post it. I've searched backyard birds for eastern Ontario but haven't seen any pictures that are of these birds.

Suzy

Certainly sounds like a Catbird ;)

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Yes! That's it! I googled images as well because the pic Wilma offered seemed chubbier and smaller than what I'm seeing, but after seeing numerous pictures I'm thinking that is exactly what it is! Here's a picture I found that looks exactly like the mother bird: http://z.about.com/d/animals/1/7/2/I/2007EU0000.jpg

Thank you so much and thanks for the welcome! :) (I still need to post an intro in the Hello forum but I'm glad you solved this mystery for me). Suzy

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back