• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brewer’s Blackbird, Delaware, today? (1 Viewer)

Byronix

Hi all,

A friend of mine digiscoped this Blackbird at long distance, associating with Red-winged Blackbird. His (and my) impression is of a Brewer’s Blackbird rather than the more expected Rusty Blackbird or Common Grackle. What do you all think? Thanks!

Attachments

• F7224A79-46A5-40A9-8D38-E160B8B1B378.jpeg
    F7224A79-46A5-40A9-8D38-E160B8B1B378.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 9C0E31EA-C270-4A18-865E-481860D41CC2.jpeg
    9C0E31EA-C270-4A18-865E-481860D41CC2.jpeg
    401.8 KB · Views: 65
Rusty Blackbird for me, looks like a curved bill. I don't see any reason to think about Brewer's, not to mention it would be ill advised to conclude such a rarity from this type of photo. Why did you think it was not a Rusty?

Rusty Blackbird for me, looks like a curved bill. I don't see any reason to think about Brewer's, not to mention it would be ill advised to conclude such a rarity from this type of photo. Why did you think it was not a Rusty?

Agree, bill’s wrong for Brewer’s (insofar as it’s possible to judge such things from the photos).

Last edited:
I think this is a Common Grackle. It appears larger than the Red-winged Blackbirds with a pretty large beak and I can see a bronze sheen on the back and underside and a bluish-purple sheen on the head.

I think this is a Common Grackle. It appears larger than the Red-winged Blackbirds with a pretty large beak and I can see a bronze sheen on the back and underside and a bluish-purple sheen on the head.

My first thought was Common Grackle as well, but I wouldn't hang my hat on that with these images.

They're just feathers shining in the light. They're not white.

I'm really struggling to see it as shining in the light, not least because the undertail area is typically one of the least reflective feather tracts (typically soft, loose feathers there). Also the patch is too large, covering too much curvature to reflect light from a point source. I'd suspect this bird is genuinely leucistic.

I'm really struggling to see it as shining in the light, not least because the undertail area is typically one of the least reflective feather tracts (typically soft, loose feathers there). Also the patch is too large, covering too much curvature to reflect light from a point source. I'd suspect this bird is genuinely leucistic.

The pale bit of "plumage" on the undertail area is a bit of dry vegetation/foliage (a dry leaf?). Another very similar bit of "leucistic plumage" can be seen just to the right of the bird (still inside the red "circle") and a few more are scattered over the bush (bramble?). ;) :t: :king:

The pale bit of "plumage" on the undertail area is a bit of dry vegetation/foliage (a dry leaf?). Another very similar bit of "leucistic plumage" can be seen just to the right of the bird (still inside the red "circle") and a few more are scattered over the bush (bramble?). ;) :t: :king:

Aye, that's probably it, thanks! 3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back