• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (6 Viewers)

Hi
I'm visiting in the Bamburgh area from the 24th. First time for me and apart from a trip to the Farnes I'm looking for a few good places to visit. So i would appreciate some suggestions from those who know best of some good sites.

many thanks

bill

well lets say 30 miles in a radius with the exception of the bits in the North Sea. I am thinking about Kielder as i want to see crossbills unless there is something closer and will probably have a wander down the coast as well. Dont want to spend too much time in the car as that increases my chances of getting lost!!!

well lets say 30 miles in a radius with the exception of the bits in the North Sea. I am thinking about Kielder as i want to see crossbills unless there is something closer and will probably have a wander down the coast as well. Dont want to spend too much time in the car as that increases my chances of getting lost!!!

Hi Bill

Kielder is a bit of a hike from Bamburgh. Thrunton Wood, west of Alnwick may be worth a look for Crossbill.

Cheers gary. that was dawning on me last night when i was looking at my map. I've got a few places have a nose now cheers all.

Beacon Hill Wood

Was there yesterday afternoon. What I saw appears on my blog. A good two hours if not a little frustrating in terms of a sparsity of Spotty Flycatchers.

Allen Banks

Had a trip to this area on Sunday and got the following:
Blackcap
Spotted Fly
Grey Wag
Dipper
Wood Warbler (singing and showing well in woods between the 2 bridges)

Didn't really get into the right areas for Pied Fly as we stopped short of
Briarwood Banks where they are normally found.

?

Ill have two crows and a pint of milk please. Anyone know what this is all about ?

Attachments

• crowinprisonrayburnlake200510.jpg
    crowinprisonrayburnlake200510.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 97
Found this information

Although banned in their country of origin because they are viewed as inhumane, Larsen traps are still legal in the UK. It uses a live wild “decoy bird” to attract and trap crows, magpies, jays, jackdaws and rooks. The decoy bird suffers a most terrible existance. Close to the ground it is terrorised by predators, these intelligent birds see its fellow birds brutally killed in front of it. A number end up being found dead through neglect. Mostly used by gamekeepers

Found this information

Although banned in their country of origin because they are viewed as inhumane, Larsen traps are still legal in the UK. It uses a live wild “decoy bird” to attract and trap crows, magpies, jays, jackdaws and rooks. The decoy bird suffers a most terrible existance. Close to the ground it is terrorised by predators, these intelligent birds see its fellow birds brutally killed in front of it. A number end up being found dead through neglect. Mostly used by gamekeepers

A little harsh there I think, I dont think they suffer a terrible existance they have to be provided with food and water and checked regulary, rarley if ever are the caught birds killed infront of the decoy bird and leaving them to die due to neglect would be counterproductive anyway as they need to be emptied on a regular basis to be able to catch more birds.

As for how effective they are given the millions of Corvids well you might be suprised just how many they catch.I know of one farmer who has caught several hundred in one trap this year already.

A little harsh there I think, I dont think they suffer a terrible existance they have to be provided with food and water and checked regulary, rarley if ever are the caught birds killed infront of the decoy bird and leaving them to die due to neglect would be counterproductive anyway as they need to be emptied on a regular basis to be able to catch more birds.

Adam the Game Conservancy advice to farmers/gamekeepers/landowners etc for killing trapped corvids quite openly contradicts your suggestion that they are rarely killed in front of the decoy bird.

"If you are right-handed, hold the bird as described above in your left hand. Withyour right hand, grip the legs, tail, and wingtips together. In one movement, draw the bird out of your left hand, so that it doesn’t have time to bite you, and strike the back of its head very hard against the
edge of the trap/Land Rover/etc. It takes a surprising force to kill one of these birds.Do all you can to make death instant. Breaking its neck after this makes sure that you have not just stunned it."

They also recommend providing food and water once a day but I'm guessing not too many people are employed by any organisation to check the welfare of a bird that is on death row anyway.

Having said all that Larsen Traps are legal....

Well thats slightly strange advice its not how I'd dispatch and in know many others dont do it that way.
It should also be remembered that even if they are killed infront of the decoy bird this shouldnt be compared to how we would feel in that situation as many things we would consider to be life changingly horrendous are part of every day life for most wild animals, Yes i wouldnt like to have a friend mudered infront of me but I also wouldnt want a giant Crow to kidnapp, murder and eat my children but that happens day in day out to many wild animals.

No i dont suppose anybody is likely to check that food, water etc is being checked every 24 hours but thats no reason at all to then assume the keepers must be breaking the law just because they could probably get away with it.I'm sure most birdwatchers could get away with being egg thieves but we arent just because we could be.

Well thats slightly strange advice its not how I'd dispatch and in know many others dont do it that way.
It should also be remembered that even if they are killed infront of the decoy bird this shouldnt be compared to how we would feel in that situation as many things we would consider to be life changingly horrendous are part of every day life for most wild animals, Yes i wouldnt like to have a friend mudered infront of me but I also wouldnt want a giant Crow to kidnapp, murder and eat my children but that happens day in day out to many wild animals.

No i dont suppose anybody is likely to check that food, water etc is being checked every 24 hours but thats no reason at all to then assume the keepers must be breaking the law just because they could probably get away with it.I'm sure most birdwatchers could get away with being egg thieves but we arent just because we could be.

I agree Adam there are far too many situations where we (humans) place our own human emotions onto animals/birds when it shouldn't be done. You only have to read a few of the comments posted on national news websites whenever Sparrowhawks are mentioned to see references to wicked and evil raptors and Magpies killing our cherished and innocent songbirds.
I also agree that just because no one is checking is a reason to assume that some gamekeepers break the law. However given the complete disregard that is afforded to our laws when it comes to use of poisons, persecution of schedule 1 breeding raptors etc, I think it is fairly safe to asssume that some gamekeepers, possibly dont hold the prinicipal of caring for corvids in high esteem.
In rural communities the indoctrination of hate against corvids and raptors starts young and is unrelenting. The pressure for profit by commercial shooting interests further adds to the demonising of certain species as vermin to be got rid of by whatever means possible.
Again having said all of that our mismanagement of the environment is such that some predator control of some species, is probably a necessity in order to tip the scales back in favour of those species that have been driven in many instances to localised extinctions.
I've read many of your posts over the weeks on Birdforum regarding shooting etc and we may not find much common ground so I wouldn't want to hijack the Northumberland thread with a protracted debate so feel free to PM me if this begins to head that way.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back