• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twite! - Aaargghhhh!! (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi Guys,

For the last couple of Winters, I've been following a 3-stage strategy to see Twite....It goes something like this :-

1. Go to places that Twite are likely/rumoured.
2. Fail to see any Twite.
3. Go home with tail firmly between legs.

Now, I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say that this has been a total waste of time - I've had some cracking days out - but there is one obvious drawback to this method, ie the complete absense of any Twite!!

This Winter I'm determined to do better, so does anyone know of any sure-fire locations for these pesky critters vaguely in the SE of the UK.... I'm thinking North Norfolk probably, where there must be flock of these that are a good bet.....

I'm already planning a day up there in a week or two, so if anyone can give me some good gen I'd be very grateful (bearing in mind that, whatever the opposite of the Midas-touch is, I've definitely got it when it comes to Twite!!)

All the best.... Ruby

There's been a flock around Thornham harbour for much of the winter - a most of last winter. When I've gone I parked and then walked west along the bank, normally I've seen them in the first few hundred yards...

Attachments

• map.GIF
    map.GIF
    84.8 KB · Views: 115
postcardcv said:
There's been a flock around Thornham harbour for much of the winter - a most of last winter. When I've gone I parked and then walked west along the bank, normally I've seen them in the first few hundred yards...
postcardcv is correct!.

Drive down to the old lifeboat house, park, unless its high tide. Wait!. I saw them with a small group of birders on 7th Jan guided by deboo and the flock flew in and landed behind the lifeboathouse. The next morning (8th Jan ) I went myself and the whole flock landed to drink from the guttering of the lifeboathouse itself and then landed in the scrub by the side of the car.
Many of them are wearing rings!.

HTH

Alan

Thanks Guys,

Sounds like even I won't be able to fail this time.......

I'm hoping to go this week or next, so will let you know.

All the best.... Ruby

Another vote for the Thornham birds...

... and it's maybe worth learning the flight call before you go. It's like the name, a wheezy "tveeet".

dbradnum said:
Another vote for the Thornham birds...

... and it's maybe worth learning the flight call before you go. It's like the name, a wheezy "tveeet".

Cheers David - that's good advice....

In addition to the very handy info on BF, I've also got the excellent Paul Doherty DVD set, the Birds of Britain and Europe...

This has been useful on quite a few occasions in the past...

Rgds... Ruby

Are they not still at the end of the Titchwell boardwalk? Haven't been for a while, but they used to be just either side of the benches. Also regularly had them in the saltmarsh to the right of Holkham Gap.

tom mckinney said:
Are they not still at the end of the Titchwell boardwalk? Haven't been for a while, but they used to be just either side of the benches. Also regularly had them in the saltmarsh to the right of Holkham Gap.

Hi Tom,

Titchwell falls into the category or 'likely/rumoured' places where they have failed to show up...

Can't say that I'm a regular, but probably been to Titchwell maybe 6-8 times over the last couple of years, and always have a little walk along the strand-line looking for likely suspects. All I've managed to date are quite a few Linnets and Goldfinches......

Aquila - hopefully the Gods of Birding will know that my tongue was firmly in cheek, so won't punish me!!

Ruby said:
Hi Guys,

For the last couple of Winters, I've been following a 3-stage strategy to see Twite....It goes something like this :-

1. Go to places that Twite are likely/rumoured.
2. Fail to see any Twite.
3. Go home with tail firmly between legs.

Now, I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say that this has been a total waste of time - I've had some cracking days out - but there is one obvious drawback to this method, ie the complete absense of any Twite!!

This Winter I'm determined to do better, so does anyone know of any sure-fire locations for these pesky critters vaguely in the SE of the UK.... I'm thinking North Norfolk probably, where there must be flock of these that are a good bet.....

I'm already planning a day up there in a week or two, so if anyone can give me some good gen I'd be very grateful (bearing in mind that, whatever the opposite of the Midas-touch is, I've definitely got it when it comes to Twite!!)

All the best.... Ruby

were some on Sheppey earlier in the year. Can't remember where PM Eagle

pduxon said:
were some on Sheppey earlier in the year. Can't remember where PM Eagle
There has been a small number at Oare but I don't think they've been seen in the past couple of weeks.

33 at Thornham today! No longer reliable at Titchwell and none at Holkham for 2 or 3 years. The Thornham birds get on the roof of the old house in the Thornham car park if you get there early. You are right, you cannot fail this time!!! Possibly...

GOOD LUCK!
FBF

robinm said:
There has been a small number at Oare but I don't think they've been seen in the past couple of weeks.

I think the ones on Sheppey have been seen along by the line of cottages and along the tideline a bit by the main wader roost.... I've spoken to people who've seen them, but this is one of my regular failure spots...

...As is Oare. I must have searched along the saltings there on a dozen occasions but never seen one. Funnily enough, I was discussing this the other day and I heard that a very well known local birder (much more assiduous, experienced and dedicated than me!) had never managed to see them there either. This made me feel (slightly) better....

It's looking like Norfolk next Monday, so hoping for the best.

Ruby said:
...As is Oare. I must have searched along the saltings there on a dozen occasions but never seen one. Funnily enough, I was discussing this the other day and I heard that a very well known local birder (much more assiduous, experienced and dedicated than me!) had never managed to see them there either. This made me feel (slightly) better....
I have say I've never seen them at Oare either ;)

Good luck in Norfolk :t:

tom mckinney said:

certainly not reliable at Titchwell these days, I've only had them once in each of the last two winters... Thornham seems far more reliable these days.

Ruby said:

All the best.... Ruby

I don't know the area at all but maybe if you really are stuck try contacting the local ringing group. I would guess that someone will be baiting sites near the coast for twite/snow bunting etc. If you ask nicely they may hint where to look ( on days they won't be catching ! ).

G:Rif

robinm said:
I have say I've never seen them at Oare either ;)

Good luck in Norfolk :t:

Hi Robin,

I don't know anyone who's seen them!

Certainly not suggesting that the intermittent sightings that are reported are in any way dodgy, it's just indicative of the fact that they're pretty difficult to find....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back