• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake District Golden Eagle. (1 Viewer)

mamo

2 years ago, on my many wanderings around the Lake District, I came across the male Eagle 3 or 4 times at various locations. No personal sightings now for said 2 years. I was wondering if anybody had had a sighting recently, or has the male disappeared as well now??

Great news,

I didn't realise that there are any Golden Eagles outside of Scotland, as I have challenged myself to see the 15? breeding raptors in the UK that one could save me a lot of miles, could you pm me approximate location I might get to see it at?

Thanks

Mike

Great news,

I didn't realise that there are any Golden Eagles outside of Scotland, as I have challenged myself to see the 15? breeding raptors in the UK that one could save me a lot of miles, could you pm me approximate location I might get to see it at?

Thanks

Mike

It doesn't need to be sent by PM as it's well publicised and at Haweswater. Here's a link to the car park http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...9021,-2.820708&spn=0.000773,0.003422&t=h&z=19

Here's a link to where you have to walk to http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...97756,-2.82865&spn=0.000773,0.003422&t=h&z=19

On the second link you can see a wall running from right to left and another small wall running up and down. The hut which you can see in the corner is the RSPB viewing point and they will usually have somebody manning it on a weekend and they'll probably have a spotting scope or two pointing at the Eagle if its about.

Here's some info http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/h/haweswater/

Last edited:
Great news,

Thanks

Mike

May be worth a few more miles as your only realy looking for 1 eagle as in Scotland you stand a chance of many more even then they can be elusive one day then like buzzards the next. Hawswater is a nice walk with plenty of other birds look at and you could try for the Osprey in the lakes if it returns

Haweswater is great on a nice clear day and a lot of driving nearer than the beauty but vastness of Scotland.

The viewpoint is usually manned at this time of year and he should be displaying. They even usually have a scope there and will probably put you straight onto him.

And if you climb High Street via Long Stile (by the side of Riggindale) you often get some fab views. A few years ago, when there were still a pair, we watched them from above. So sad that another bird hasn't turned up.

And if you climb High Street via Long Stile (by the side of Riggindale) you often get some fab views. A few years ago, when there were still a pair, we watched them from above. So sad that another bird hasn't turned up.

I'll be mounting my annual one-day assault upon Riggindale and Bassenthwaite in April, the plan being to return in June and walk part of the Riggindale Horseshoe. Am hoping for good views of the eagle on both occasions.

DS

PS: Great user name, by the way. Very appropriate given the subject matter of this thread. :t:

Last edited:
Thanks Drumming Sniper!

Lucky you- hope you have a fab time. We'll be up in the Lakes in May, hoping to finish 4 of my remaining 5 Wainwrights and simultaneously doing some birding. Can't wait..

We put the viewpoint up on Tuesday although it won`t be open for business until Good Friday.

Eagle was displaying/flying most of the day-mobbed by Ravens and a very determined Peregrine over Kidsty Pike.

cheers

Have there been any recent sightings? It's been some years since I saw the golden eagles in the Lakes. Just got back from a trip to the western isles and no Golden Eagles but very happy with the white tailed sea eagles seen.

You should check out the Birds in Cumbria sub-forum here: http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Someone reported good views on the 12th June, 2010. It's just luck whether you get to see him or not. You can hang around for hours, then he'll show up just after you left!! Or he was displaying just before you arrive! There is just one young male there now. The RSPB are hoping a young female will wander into his territory, perhaps from the population in Southern Scotland.

Have a look at our Opus page for Haweswater, for directions, maps etc.

Last edited:
We visited the area on Wednesday 16th June, the intention being to walk the Riggindale Horseshoe - which we did. We walked/scrambled our way along Rough Crag and up Long Stile onto High Street, then came down via Kidsty Pike, stopping to scan at regular intervals throughout. In almost seven hours' worth of walking/birding we didn't see the eagle, but we did have sightings of Ring Ouzel and Merlin, the weather was superb and the scenery, particularly from High Street, was absolutely stunning. Our previous visit (in early April) produced excellent views of the eagle displaying so we weren't too despondent about dipping.

In Call of the Eagle by Dave Walker, the author states that the bird often wanders away from the valley for several days at a time. I'm theorising that the eagle is probably more prone to do this outwith the main display period but who knows?

DS

Last edited:
In Call of the Eagle by Dave Walker, the author states that the bird often wanders away from the valley for several days at a time. I'm theorising that the eagle is probably more prone to do this outwith the main display period but who knows?
DS

Thanks for mentioning the book, DS - I didn't know someone had written about the eagles. My sister is getting it for me as I've always been interested in the Haweswater Eagles. I grew up in Penrith and I spent a fair bit of time wandering the fells with my boyfriend in the late 60's, when the eagles first nested there. We both studied the geology of the area for our undergraduate degrees - now we've been married for 38 years and we go to see the birds instead!

Thanks for mentioning the book, DS - I didn't know someone had written about the eagles. My sister is getting it for me as I've always been interested in the Haweswater Eagles. I grew up in Penrith and I spent a fair bit of time wandering the fells with my boyfriend in the late 60's, when the eagles first nested there. We both studied the geology of the area for our undergraduate degrees - now we've been married for 38 years and we go to see the birds instead!

Helen, I'd say that the book is essential reading for anybody with an interest in the Cumbrian eagles. I make a point of visiting Haweswater at least once every year and the trip has become almost like a pilgrimage: I just love the place!

I had the opportunity to study the geology of the area in some depth during my last visit, mainly due to the fact that I spent most of the day scrambling around on it!

Hope you enjoy the book when it arrives,

DS

Helen, I'd say that the book is essential reading for anybody with an interest in the Cumbrian eagles. I make a point of visiting Haweswater at least once every year and the trip has become almost like a pilgrimage: I just love the place!

I had the opportunity to study the geology of the area in some depth during my last visit, mainly due to the fact that I spent most of the day scrambling around on it!

Hope you enjoy the book when it arrives, DS

Just thought I'd let you know that I picked up the Call of the Eagle book from my sister, when I was over in the UK in July and it is a fascinating read! I often wondered what the eagles preyed on and had never realised that they ate so many corvids and unfortunately, the male eagle in the early 80s, was very partial to Ring Ouzels, especially nestlings! He was even noted bringing in a black cat for the nestling eagle on one occasion!

Just thought I'd let you know that I picked up the Call of the Eagle book from my sister, when I was over in the UK in July and it is a fascinating read! I often wondered what the eagles preyed on and had never realised that they ate so many corvids and unfortunately, the male eagle in the early 80s, was very partial to Ring Ouzels, especially nestlings! He was even noted bringing in a black cat for the nestling eagle on one occasion!

Glad you managed to obtain the book. It's been a while since I last dipped into it but it's certainly full of interesting facts and observations. If memory serves, the author describes watching the male eagle come sweeping into Riggindale - carrying prey, I think - and, by taking into account distance/time, estimates that the bird was averaging about 75mph in the glide. Impressed me, that did!

DS

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back