• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Am I correct on this ID ? (1 Viewer)

Richard L

Richard L.
I finally got a shot of this small woodpecker today, I live near San Antonio, Texas and my bird book say's its a "Red Cockaded" woodpecker.... BUT my photo in my bird book shows a marking of all white on its cheek with a black cap and stripped back.

My photo taken today (below) shows white on its cheek but also a white above its eye. Is this a Red Cockaded ?? Thanks from Richard L.

Attachments

• Red Cockaded.jpg
    Red Cockaded.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 205
The face is wrong for a Red-cockaded. See the black line through the eye which connects on the cheek to the line from the bill?

I think it is a Ladder-backed Woodpecker.
Marc

I would also consider a juvenile Downy Woodpecker. What appears to be a red patch on the forehead right over the bill says juv Downy, The Ladder-back has red patch higher on crown in all ages.

You were right to be skeptical based on the cheek not having a large white patch. Also, note the dingy pink-buff wash on the breast? That is typical of Ladder-backs, but not of most other Picoides woodpeckers.
What guide-book told you to expect R-C Woodpeckers in San Antonio? According to Sibley, they only extend into a very small part of East Texas.
Marc

I believe this is an adult female Ladderback Woodpecker. Note the facial pattern, the buffy forehead, the slightly yellowish underparts (with spots). Downies would not have spots on the breast/belly and would be white in that area, not yellowish.

Dave,
consider also the barring on the back, which is just visible. I don't think Downys have that at any age. Also, the cheek pattern isn't right for Downy, IMO.
I agree the hint of red against black just above the bill is odd....
Marc

Hello Jedku, this is Richard L. of San Antonio. I am using the "Peterson Field Guide" book of BIRDS in TEXAS...... the latterback has white on the top of his head, this woodpecker has a black cap.... Also the white over the eyes........ we do have ladderbacks in the backyard but this one seems to be a little different. I could be wrong on my ID of a "Red Cockaded" woodpecker. Thanks from Richard L.

I agree that it is probably a Ladder-back primarily on the bars that can be seen on the back (which I missed first go round). I wouldn't rule out Juv Downy based on the spots on the flanks though, see Sibley page 312. Also agree cheek pattern isn't just right for Downy, but I expect variability as well as angle of head could give misleading results here. My biggest reason for thinking not Ladder-back was what appears dark red on low forecrown - some have said this appears buffy - maybe just a monitor problem.

Richard,
Ladder-backed females do have black crowns, males have red crowns. There is sometimes a fair amount of variability in individual birds and this could lead to one not looking "just like" the others. Do you have any other photos of this bird?

Hello, Richard.
Interesting discussion. Thanks for posting this picture.
I still think this is a Ladder-back for all the reasons mentioned above. I am not sure I agree that Ladder-backs have white on top of the head. I have not seen it so in the birds I have seen or in my field guides. Do you mean that there is usually a buffy color just above the bill? That I agree with. But, everything in this bird points to Ladder-backed. I am sure that it is not a red-cockaded, which are rare and local birds here in the Southeast.
Do you have a picture of what is a more normal Ladder-backed that you mentioned seing many of? Would be happy to see it if you can post.
Thanks,
Marc

back view

Here is a back view of the same bird, taken today. Richard L.

Dave B Smith said:
I agree that it is probably a Ladder-back primarily on the bars that can be seen on the back (which I missed first go round). I wouldn't rule out Juv Downy based on the spots on the flanks though, see Sibley page 312. Also agree cheek pattern isn't just right for Downy, but I expect variability as well as angle of head could give misleading results here. My biggest reason for thinking not Ladder-back was what appears dark red on low forecrown - some have said this appears buffy - maybe just a monitor problem.

Attachments

• back view.jpg
    back view.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 170
Thanks for the picture, Richard. Almost makes one feel like he is birding Texas! Ladder-backed Woodpecker, I would say and move on to the next bird.
Do you have any other field guides? One of the more complete standard guides would help you with these identifications, I think. Something with good range maps & thorough illustrations. Sibley? Kaufman? National Geographic? Any of these would be a good addition to Peterson's Birds of Texas, IMO.
Greetings from North Florida,
Marc

Richard:

If you'd like a look at the Red-cockaded Woodpecker, just head over my direction. I'll be happy to take you to Jones State Forest, north of Houston, where the Red-cockaded breed.

The white cheek patch on the Red-cockaded is quite striking, not so much a stretch as with the Ladder-backed.

Steve in Houston

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back