• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

niger seed problem/question (1 Viewer)

fred wark

I have not seen any finches coming to my niger seed, but they are all over the neighborhood. The seed I have out was purchased last summer at a yard sale and I suspect it might be a few years old. Does this type of seed spoil with age? Is there any way to determine if it is still edible to the birds

Hi there Fred and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello.

With 8 feeders I seldom ever saw the niger feeder being used. I find they much prefer the Black-oiled Sunflower seeds and the Safflower Seeds and the Sunflower hearts. So I wound up taking the niger feeder down.

I was going to ask about the same question. Last winter (in Dallas) I had quite a few goldfinches; they LOVED the nyjer, and I went through a couple bags of Wagner. Had a half bag left over that was kept inside and closed since March, took it out a few days ago. It looks OK...but I've read that Nyjer can dry out and essentially go stale.

I've seen a few goldfinches in the last day, a few times have seen one on the Nyjer feeder for more than a few minutes. What do you think...is it still good?

We have a niger feeder and it is well used by coal tits, goldfinches, occasional marsh tits and greenfinches. However, it took a few months for the birds to go to it initially. Don't give up!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back