• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with baby dove ❤ (1 Viewer)

psaman

United States
Hello everyone,
10 days ago i found a baby dove (whitewing i think)20230825_083354.jpg20230825_083337.jpg in the street. I picked it up and placed on my lawn. I thought I saw the mom. It appeared to have fallen fron nest about 50 feet up in my oak tree. Had to run errand so drove off and came back over an hour later. It was almost dark and bird still there so I brought it in because of neighborhood cats.
Did some quick net research and think it was about week old, judging from pictures I saw.
I know there are many different opinions, but according to some i read, started feeding it baby parrot food. He/she apoears to be doing ok, but I have concerns.
1. Not sure he's growing fast enough.
2. Doesn't seem interested in seed yet.
3. Biggest concern, just noticed yesterday he seems to have problem with his beak. Hadn't seen that beforehand. See attached pictures and zoom in. I'm worried he may not survive in the wild. Does he have a viable future?
He definitely getting stronger and exercises his wings and preens himself. Any advice woukd be greatly appreciated.

Baby pigeons have a special forumulae called "milk" which comes from the parents crop.

It would probably be an idea now to get in touch with a local wildlife rehabber or humane society in your area, as they are probably well used to dealing with birds such as this and will know when to release him and may well have others the same age so they can all go together.

A lot of birds have bill issues and many of them live several years, there doesn't seem to be a huge issue with this one.

Please let us know how you get on.

Baby pigeons have a special forumulae called "milk" which comes from the parents crop.

It would probably be an idea now to get in touch with a local wildlife rehabber or humane society in your area, as they are probably well used to dealing with birds such as this and will know when to release him and may well have others the same age so they can all go together.

A lot of birds have bill issues and many of them live several years, there doesn't seem to be a huge issue with this one.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks. I called the local rehabber listed from the state website and left a message and number, but they never returned my called. Was aware of the "milk" that momma feeds their young, also that doves do not "gape" like other birds. It has been a challenge feeding, but eating well it seems. Getting stronger and I think is close to flying. If I could just get him to start eating seed i would feel better. Thank you ever so much for your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back