• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hooded Merganser, Dallas, Texas, USA (1 Viewer)

DFW Urban Wildlife

Can I get a little help with this ID, please? Is the merganser with the black bill and dark eyes a female or a juvenile male? My reference materials suggest that the female will have a light bill and dark eyes, and that a juvenile male will have a dark bill with yellow eyes... I'm confused! Thanks for any help!

Pictures taken Dec 23, 2019

Attachments

• HoodedMerganser10.jpg
    HoodedMerganser10.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 64
  • HoodedMerganser24.jpg
    HoodedMerganser24.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
A little paleness on the face or chin isn't too unusual in females - it's not really white, just a bit lighter than the rest of the face, and photographed in strong light. Look at DFW's second photo: the normal female also has some paleness in the same area.

But yeah, the combination of eye color and beak color is a little surprising. The body coloration is also interesting. In the second photo, look at the contrast between the black back and the brown body - I may be looking with a biased eye, but I think it looks a bit like the male on the left of the photo, and not the same as relatively grey, closer-to-uniform normal female in the foreground.

Intersex birds turn up with some regularity in other duck species, but this is the first candidate among mergansers that I can recall seeing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back