• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thekla/Crested Larks? (1 Viewer)

138mph

United Kingdom
Any suggestions for which if any of these are Crested and which Thekla?
TYaken at de la Mata, Alicante and San Pedro del Pinatar, Murcia, SE Spain 10-15 Oct 2005.
In all cases they did some perching on fence rails/bushes, but also spent time on the ground. The in flight one looks Crested colouring to me. Obviously, I can provide views of other bits of the birds, but they hardly ever gave reasonable frontal views.

Thanks, Hugh

Attachments

• 55J10D1942.jpg
    55J10D1942.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 55J10D1950.jpg
    55J10D1950.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 130
  • 55J15D2400.jpg
    55J15D2400.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Hi Hugh.

These appear to be Crested Larks.Note the redish underwing and the brownish/dirty spotting on the breats.Also note that the breast is dirty white.

A Thekla would have white underwing,whiter breast and blacker spots.Shorter crest and a more clean appearance.

Cheers,

Dimitris

Edit:Just noticed that some birds were photographed in Malta.Brave birds! ;)

Nice pictures.

Last edited:
GMS said:
I agree with Hannu on 2397, 1942,1943,1944 and 1950 based on billshape.
Bird 2400 looks ok for Thekla I think because of the strong marking of the front. Crested should have finer marks if I remember it right.

But beware many Crested do have this kind of streaks on breat in Autumn, also streaks continue to the sides.

Alsirhan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back