• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wimberley head levelling? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tucker

Hi

I have just bought a WimberleyII and Gitzo tripod. I have not used it yet but seting it up at home it strikes me that it will be difficult to level.
Do people usually combine this with a ball head to make levelling easier?

If you set your tripod level then the head will be level too, you dont want to be adding a ball head to the setup.
Rob.

Appreciated, but in some sitiuations this could be difficult, say when the tripod is arranged as close to the ground as possible so the legs are splayed out very flat and the ground is uneven?

Edit: I have just noticed the other thread on the same subject so apologies for starting a new thread. My question is kind of answered there, rather stupidly did not think of rotating the camera on the lens ring :-/

Last edited:
Steve, I have thought about this too. There is a leveling base made for tripods. However after using the tripod adjustment ring I feel confident that I can get it level enough within a couple seconds.

Also, I really don't want to add a level base that could compromise stability, add weight and add cost.

Bodyresults
Yeh I think you are right and I will try that

Ryan
Thanks yes found that after i had posted (see my edit in my second post on this thread) and that does answer the question. Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back