• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 055cxpro4 vs Gitzo gt2545t for 65-85mm scopes and scopac? Huge weight difference. What about stability? (1 Viewer)

mbb

hi!,

Has anyone ever compared the Manfrotto 055 cxpro 4 with the Gitzo GT2545T?
Or used the Gitzo with a scopac?

I am mainly curious about stability differences between both tripods for 65-85mm scopes (e.g. ats65 to atx85 max) and the practical match of the Gitzo with a scopac.

----
Current setup and context:
I have the Manfrotto and am happy about its size and stability. However, I am looking for my options to lower the total weight of my main setup, but that has to be without compromising on stability. I would keep the fluid head I have: Gitzo gh1720qr (great with my atx65, still OK I think with a 80mm, if not digiscoping).
---
Comparison of specs:
Both are carbon, 4 section tripods, 29mm diameter for the top section, from good brands, same overarching company.
Still, the Manfrotto weighs 2,25kg and the Gitzo 1,335kg. :-o That seems like a huge difference. Much more than I could save between models of scopes of similar aperture. Are they both really as stable?!

The Manfrotto is a bit taller, but the Gitzo seems tall enough for me.
The Manfrotto has flip locks, the Gitzo twist locks. I don't have a huge preference.
It would be used regularly with a scopac though. Are the twist locks of the Gitzo, both for the legs and for the center column, easy to use with a scopac, considering their attachment straps?

Oh, this was meant for the "tripods and heads" section. Can this thread be moved there? (Not sure how I can do this myself.)

Hi,

I cannot really comment on the stability - Gitzo has a rep for being very stable, but otoh the model you chose has 12kg max load vs. the 20kg of the Manfrotto... you certainly want to stay well below that anyways for a scope, but I would suspect from these max load ratings and the weight difference that the Traveller might be less stable than the Manfrotto... can you test it in a shop with your scope?

As for twist locks, I have them on my Velbon legs and they work fine with a mulepack clone... but the scopac seems to have the same velcro fastenings around the legs... look whether they are close to the ends of the topmost section on your mafrotto and if they are, measure how much space you have and compare to the section length of the Gitzo...

Joachim

Thanks for the tips!
I don't know if any shop around here (not many) has it in stock. I should have a look.
I hadn't noticed the big difference in the max load ratings. I'm wondering if that is fully following the same approach to fix that rating. It is strange considering the same number of leg sections, similar tube diameters and high quality of Gitzo tripods.

If it’s not to late you might find my experience helpful. I’ve recently swapped an 055 CX Pro3 and Scopac for a GT2545T carried on a Vanguard R48 Adaptor rucksack. The Gitzo was slightly too short for the Scopac and the strap at the top was loose around the tripod below the head (Gitzo GHF).
I can’t detect any stability difference between the tripods with my ATX 95. The Gitzo tripod is a lovely bit of kit and the leg locks are much easier to use than the Manfrotto snaplocks. So I’ve saved some weight and have a compact pack that I can carry when cycling.

hi!,

Has anyone ever compared the Manfrotto 055 cxpro 4 with the Gitzo GT2545T?
Or used the Gitzo with a scopac?

I am mainly curious about stability differences between both tripods for 65-85mm scopes (e.g. ats65 to atx85 max) and the practical match of the Gitzo with a scopac.

----
Current setup and context:
I have the Manfrotto and am happy about its size and stability. However, I am looking for my options to lower the total weight of my main setup, but that has to be without compromising on stability. I would keep the fluid head I have: Gitzo gh1720qr (great with my atx65, still OK I think with a 80mm, if not digiscoping).
---
Comparison of specs:
Both are carbon, 4 section tripods, 29mm diameter for the top section, from good brands, same overarching company.
Still, the Manfrotto weighs 2,25kg and the Gitzo 1,335kg. :-o That seems like a huge difference. Much more than I could save between models of scopes of similar aperture. Are they both really as stable?!

The Manfrotto is a bit taller, but the Gitzo seems tall enough for me.
The Manfrotto has flip locks, the Gitzo twist locks. I don't have a huge preference.
It would be used regularly with a scopac though. Are the twist locks of the Gitzo, both for the legs and for the center column, easy to use with a scopac, considering their attachment straps?
I have the Gitzo 2531LVL tripod rated for 26 lb load and it can easily handle even the heaviest scope. I use a Arca-Swiss head and then mount a Arca-Swiss plate to the scope.

Another excellent tripod is the Feisol CT-3441T that weighs only 2.6 lb and support 44 lb. with no leg flexing at all. With a tripod I push down with all my weight and look to see if there is any flexing of the legs. Many tripods that are rated for heavy loads fail this simple test.

We have the Gitzo GT2545T, but not the Manfrotto. We have 60mm, 65mm, 80mm, and 88mm scopes.

Tripod head on our GT2545T is a Sirui VA-5.

To us the combination is very stable for the 60mm and 65mm scopes. The tripod, tripod head, and 60mm and 65mm scopes, just feels like it all matches in terms of stability, balance while panning and tilting, weight, etc.

The tripod holds the 80mm and 85mm scopes surprisingly well, but this tripod would not be my goto choice for these scopes. I prefer the stability and overall feel of our Really Right Stuff Ultralight TFC-34 Series 3 carbon fiber tripod more for the large scopes. The Ultralight TFC-34 is a systematic style tripod without a center column, so it folds down to a very small diameter.

I feel the Sirui VA-5 head is overwhelmed by the 80mm and 85mm scopes, and is too small and light a head to use with them. The weight of the 80mm and 85mm scopes overpowers the counter balance spring on the Sirui VA-5. The tilt lock seems to be at it maximum for holding the weight of the scopes. I feel the Manfrotto MVH-500AH is a much better matched head for the 80+ mm scopes.

Larger scopes really need a larger tripod head. Putting a larger tripod head on the Gitzo GT2545T is a bad match. It is out of proportion in both size and weight for the legs, and it defeats the purpose and reason for getting the GT2545T legs in the first place.

My feeling is the Gitzo GT2545T is a great tripod for 60mm and 65mm scopes. It provides a rock solid base for scopes of that size and weight. Those scopes work well with a lighter tripod head like the Sirui VA-5, resulting in a whole tripod setup that is stable, pretty light, and has a tripod head where the counter balance spring is fully functional.

I don’t think the Gitzo GT2545T is the best way to go for larger 80+mm scopes - especially if ones builds the setup geared towards 60mm and 65mm scopes. Sure the setup may be able to hold the 80+ mm scopes, but my feeling is that image stability in the larger scopes is compromised. The whole point of using a scope and tripod is to get a really good view of the target bird, so why compromise stability.

If one is going to (wants to) use a heavier scope that is 80+mm, then one has to accept that the stability required to easily and accurately see fine detail will require using both a tripod and tripod head that is heavier.

Match the tripod and head to the scope and the setups will work as they should. Then when you head out into the field you will know that the combination of tripod/scope you grabbed for that outing will allow you to get the best views possible. You may also find there is combination you use most, and a scope size that regularly meets your needs.

We have found our most used setups are the 60mm on the Gitzo GT2545T, and the 88mm scope on the RRS TFC-34.

Both setups provide great stability. The choice of which we take comes down to what do we need for that outing. Do we need a light weight setup, or are we are fine carrying more weight or need the greater resolution and magnification the larger diameter scope provides. And usually we pack both in the vehicle so we can choose the setup stop by stop.

Last edited:
I have the Gitzo 2531LVL tripod rated for 26 lb load and it can easily handle even the heaviest scope. I use a Arca-Swiss head and then mount a Arca-Swiss plate to the scope.

Another excellent tripod is the Feisol CT-3441T that weighs only 2.6 lb and support 44 lb. with no leg flexing at all. With a tripod I push down with all my weight and look to see if there is any flexing of the legs. Many tripods that are rated for heavy loads fail this simple test.
Tripod load ratings are merely arbitrary values (how would you measure them?) and have little relevance to scope use.
If you can see significant leg flexing the tripod is probably inadequate..
Try zooming up to maximum magnification, focus on an object and then tap one of the tripod legs with a finger.
The amplitude and duration of the vibrations should give you an indication of the tripod's suitability.

John

I'd say that many of the factors commonly attributed to tripod stability are arbitrary, or theoretical at best... and that apples can be compared to oranges.

Rigidity (or leg flexing) isn't necessarily the best test of the suitability of a tripod to its task. Neither is the diameter of the lower leg section, or the number of leg sections.

I've written on another thread that while the legs of my three-section carbon Manfrotto 055 show zero flex, even under intense downward pressure, my four-section Gitzo GT2545T exhibits some flex, at the joints, yet it handles vibrations slightly better than the Manfrotto. (Another well-known member concurs, in his comparison between a 'sturdier' Induro and the Gitzo.)

I also did a more like-for-like comparison recently, in terms of tripod weight, between a Manfrotto 290 xtra and the Gitzo, where the Manfrotto was again very rigid and resistant to downward force, but had very poor resistance to vibration.

I don't see why the Gitzo cannot be used with an 85/88mm scope (as I did before I switched to a 65mm ATS), and even the lightest of the Gitzo fluid heads like the GH1720QR. Such a theoretical mis-match would, in practice, be fine.

The takeaway being, you need to try these things for yourself and not rely on the claims of manufacturers or the confirmation bias of owners - albeit, the latter is difficult to assess, and I don't doubt the generosity, expertise and honesty of people contributing to these conversations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back