• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Superb Bushnell Powerview 16x50 Binoculars (2 Viewers)

wan

Hi and can anyone help me i just bought a pair of Superb Bushnell Powerview 16x50 Binoculars, and was wondering if they are any good because i'm going to Spurn Point at the weekend with the sheffield rspb and any comments or help would be great. many thanks wayne

The Bushnell Powerviews have been poor and are only good up to 8x. Bushnell makes other better porros.

If you already bought them and opened the sealed package you may be stuck with them. They are frustrating for birding, and there really is not a 16x that is useful for general birding.

But if you tell us more, maybe we can sort this out.

Last edited:
TERO, Powerviews are a whole range of bins..check Bushnell site. or were you meaning that particular pair only.

Last edited:
I actually looked through a pair of 8x42 Powerview roofs this past summer and was a bit surprised by their view. They were not as bad as the memories I had of other previous Powerview models though, arguably, those previous models were almost all compacts and small porros. I did not find them "outstanding" but thought they would be adequate for someone that had very little money and needed a bin for general use. There are definitely better options out there at just a slightly higher price point for roofs...Nikon Sporter/Buckmaster for example.

The 16x would be what would deter me from your particular pair though. At that magnification they have to be a bit difficult to hold steady without some type of tripod/finnstick.

Certainly 16x magnification could a bit much for most people to hand hold satisfactorily steady; and maybe the rocker focussing mechanism would be a hindrance too. While they may have their uses they maybe wouldn't be a recommended choice as a primary binocular for a birder. Speaking of budget bins, maybe g8ina's tip in this thread looks good :
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=644942&postcount=1
Looks like the astro guys have bought up the 10x50's but the 8x40s might be a good choice for birder. Somewhat narrow FOV though :
http://www.becotrading.no/shop.asp?p=2210128

Bushnell™, Powerview® 16x50 Porro binoculars

hi thanks for information this is where i bought them http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....loc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget
on ebay but i looked them up and on one site they was selling for £72.99 in uk and so i would like to know if they will be worth taking to the rspb outdoor trip to spurn point on this site: http://www.spurnpoint.com/ and would like to know what you would recomend from about £100 - £250 many thanks and thanks for your comments from wayne from sheffield uk

Well, I've never been to Spurn Point of course, but I have some experience at long distance birding. I'd say your Bushnells will work out well there, but ONLY IF you take along a "Finn Stick" or similar type monopod to help steady them. You can't be expected to hand hold them all the time and make proper ID's. A small portable seat with a back rest would help too.
Good birding
Bob

my first "real" pair was a Bushnell Powerview 10x50. Now I hate them. the rocker focusing is too slippery and not precise at all :storm: i have also now an old 8x30 Tasco model which is as bad as the Powerview. I need new binoculars :-C

thanks bob and justin annd tero and everyone else for your true advice it's much appreciated and i will soon be buying some more Binoculars i'm looking for some around £100 - £250 and i would appreciate some advive and i was looking at some sunagor 25-140x50mm maxima zoom any comments on these or any advice which to buy would be great thanks from wayne from sgeffield uk

Oops! Zooms are not good, narrow FOV. If you need power and then a wide field for general use, buy a 12x, though they may be big porros (Nikon or Bushnell 12x50, the 50mm is so it is not dim, as smaller one would be), and then a smaller 8x. Use both or at least bring both along. I have no other good 12x to recommend, but Nikon ProMaster (under the Travelite name in UK), a small reverse porro, does come in a 12x. It is real narrow, some 4 degrees FOV.

Other than that, get a 8x40 porro, Nikon or Optricron.

ZOOMS look like this: at low power thy may be bright and sharp, but narrow. As you zoom in, you get dimmer quickly, and the final power is usually not a clear image, slightly blurry.

Last edited:
Tero's right! Stay away from zooms at all costs. (pun intended) If you need another binocular, (and I would argue that you do since the only one you have is a 16 x 50) then look for a quality Porro Prism in the 8 x 40 range. Swift, Bushnell and Nikon make a variety of them in your cost range.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back