• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BD 10x44 BP (1 Viewer)

cdeviney

I was considering buying a 10X that would be a good choice for backyard birding and night sky viewing.

The 10x50 porros are a little too large/heavy to be comfortable for me; and the close focus is, well...just not very close!

I was thinking of getting the Nikon Action Extreme or Pentax PCF WII...but then I happened upon the specs for the Minox BD 10x44 BP.

The field of view is slightly wider than the Pentax, FMC (the Nikon is only MC), smaller and lighter than both, with a close focus of 13 feet.

The Minox is virtually the same size as my Nikon AE 7x35 (which I REALLY like). It is argon gas filled, waterproof to 5 Meters/16 Feet, has a locking (left eye) diopter on the center focus wheel, ***internal focusing***, 30 year warranty, superior 3-D view, and edge distortion is minimal, made in Japan.

This model is the 'fraternal twin' of the Leupold Cascades...both of which have been discontinued, unfortunately. The small size, light weight, quality optics, 3-D view and close focus make this a great bin for both birding and star gazing for anyone looking for a 10X porro!

The only 'con'...I wish it had a wider field of view.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62151

I ordered from Doug at the Thanksgiving sale for $175 with free shipping.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back