• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dating a pair of SLC 15x56 (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Hi, could anyone have a guess the age of a pair of SLC 15x56 with serial number D713581***? They´re not the WB/SLC/New version, they´re somewhat older, with a flat, plain green central bridge. They have the word "Habicht" embossed on the focusser, under the diopter. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Many thanks Norm! I did try a search, but you´re a better sleuth than I.

Sancho:

Its good to see you still have the binocular itch ! I do remember you
wanting a big-eyes someday.

2001 would be the first year that the SLC's received Swarobright,
(di-electric) coatings. And it was introduced in some models before
others. That would be a good thing to get, as you know, so
you may want to check that out. If the seller has the box, it is on
the label. Otherwise, a deep search on the site may help. Also a
phone call to Swaro. service, would be useful. In the US, these folks are
very nice and friendly.

Jerry

Phew ! Sancho !! ..... had me worried there for a second ....

When I saw the title of this thread on the main listing page I thought you were gonna take your love for bins to a whole nuther level !!! :eek!: :loveme: :kiss:

:-O

I see now, that you just want to "date" them - prolly for the purpose of setting a fair sale price so that you can move on to your new love ..... the new ABK prism SLC 15x 56

:t:

Rightio - carry on sir !

Chosun :gh:

Chosen:

Sancho is just looking for advice on a Swarovski 15x56, and has given us
the details. Some have responded with proper advice.

What is this drivel, and I am wondering, what is it all about ?

Jerry

Last edited:
Uh-Oh ...... the fun police have arrived ...... I forgot that some think of BF as the place where humour comes to die ......

In fine BF tradition, I was just speculating and embellishing .....

I'm sure Sancho will have no problem with it, whatsoever .....

Chosun :gh:

P.S. You still can't spell properly .....

Chosen One:

You like to post too much here, and maybe like Dennis, you are one to put on the ignore list.

Dennis has at least used and tried all of the optics he comments on.

I find only wind in your sails.

Jerry

Sancho:

Its good to see you still have the binocular itch ! I do remember you
wanting a big-eyes someday.

2001 would be the first year that the SLC's received Swarobright,
(di-electric) coatings. And it was introduced in some models before
others. That would be a good thing to get, as you know, so
you may want to check that out. If the seller has the box, it is on
the label. Otherwise, a deep search on the site may help. Also a
phone call to Swaro. service, would be useful. In the US, these folks are
very nice and friendly.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! I´ve since had a few "Big Eyes", a Minox ED and a Canon IS, both gone to new homes. But the itch began to scratch when I saw these SLC 15x56 on the ´bay, so I ended up buying them. They didn´t come boxed, and something about the view tells me they don´t have Swarobright coatings. They´re very sharp, but with a slight yellow cast, and more CA than modern Swaros. But I´ll take your sound advice and email Swarovski to ask. To be honest, as "Big Eyes" I think I prefer the old Bausch and Lomb Elite 12x50 that I bought recently in a pawn-shop! Easier to hold, wider FOV, lighter & brighter, and for seawatching, the difference between 12x and 15x is negligible.

Sancho do you still have the Canon 15x50 IS? If I remember right you mothballed it.

No, sold it. I reckoned mothballing was a waste if someone could use it. And maybe the electronic gizmos wouldn´t survive a few years of mothballing.

I see now, that you just want to "date" them - prolly for the purpose of setting a fair sale price so that you can move on to your new love ..... the new ABK prism SLC 15x 56

Chosun

Ah no, madame...I only just got them on the ´bay. I keep a pair of "Big Eyes" just for seawatching, which I don´t do very often. The new HD SLC 15x56 will have to without me, I´m afraid!

Photo

Here´s a photo of the SLC 15x56. I don´t know when this flat-bridged model was replaced by the newer one with the black contoured bridge (which I assume is the SLC "neu", although I´m not sure). I´ve emailed Swaro for some more info on this unit.

Last edited:
Hi y´all, I got a really fast and courteous reply from Swarovski at Absam about this 15x56 unit. They were made in September 2001, and the do have Swarobright coatings. That makes me a happy camper. I hope the seller is happy too.
(However, I took my 10-year old son to the music shop today because he plays guitar. We looked at electric guitars because he wants one, and he picked out his favourite, which turned out to be an old Fender Stratocaster with a price tag of 3,000 euro:eek!:. I think he´s turning out worse than me.)

Chosen:

Sancho is just looking for advice on a Swarovski 15x56, and has given us
the details. Some have responded with proper advice.

What is this drivel, and I am wondering, what is it all about ?

Jerry

Jerry

It's just a play on words:

Dating: to establish the date of manufacture
Dating: to go out with, to meet with amorous intentions, to embark on a romantic relationship

No need to bad mouth the antipodean, upside down lady, even if she can be hard to decipher sometimes.

Lee

Although the objective is perhaps to strive for greater clarity, you still have to maintain a sense of perspective along the way ...

(I read the title the same way as CJ. ;) Wonder how many people's ignore lists I'm on?! )

Last edited:
Ah yes, Lee, and after all, it´s all about binoculars, not Life or Death issues!;)

Hey Sancho

Reminds me of what someone once said about football. Here it is transcribed for use on BF:

Binoculars aren't a matter of life and death: they are more important than that!

Who needs a sense of proportion anyway? It only leads to sensible behaviour.

Lee

Binoculars aren't a matter of life and death: they are more important than that!

Who needs a sense of proportion anyway? It only leads to sensible behaviour.

Lee

:-O Very good, Lee! I´ve explained this to OH, as justification for buying a pair of 12-year old SLC´s, which I´ll probably only use about five times a year, at a time when I´m actually trying to clear out my optics cupboard. Still, it beats the hell out of golf, and hereabouts the local (formerly very exclusive and expensive) golf clubs are letting any old riff-raff join for a song. Hell, for the price of a few binos, I could join Delgany golf club and pretend to be posh. Except they´d probably expect me to play some golf; not sure I´d sink that low.

Hi y´all, I got a really fast and courteous reply from Swarovski at Absam about this 15x56 unit. They were made in September 2001, and the do have Swarobright coatings. That makes me a happy camper. I hope the seller is happy too.
(However, I took my 10-year old son to the music shop today because he plays guitar. We looked at electric guitars because he wants one, and he picked out his favourite, which turned out to be an old Fender Stratocaster with a price tag of 3,000 euro:eek!:. I think he´s turning out worse than me.)

Hi Sancho,

Fender Stratocaster is a legend. Your son really knows about giutar :-O:-O
Enjoy your SLC 15x56.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back