• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (6 Viewers)

Aw well, here's my photo of the Snow Bunting. Great photos Peter P & Peter R. Think I need to change my phone Gerry, great photo. Hope the bunting hangs around for another while. Also photo by Tommy of Whooper Swans in flight at Cruistown. Good day out today!

Attachments

• tn_Snow Bunting at Salterstown 21.JPG
    tn_Snow Bunting at Salterstown 21.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 98
  • tn_Whooper Swans flying at Cruistown 3.JPG
    tn_Whooper Swans flying at Cruistown 3.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 72
No sign of the Snow Bunting at lunch time today. About 40 Red-throated Diver between Dunany and Salterstown. 6 Scaup at Cruisetown along with 350 Greylag and 120 Whooper Swans flying from the fields -north west.
80 Whooper Swans resting on Keenan's Cross Pond with 6 Tufties, 1 Pochard and 5 Gadwall

Excellent photos of the bunting and the buzzard. Don't worry Enda, there's hope for us yet!! I am sure you will all agree it has been a very productive few weeks along the Louth coast. Let's hope it continues. It was also great to see so many eyes watching.

No sign of the Stabannon barn owl in the last 2 weeks. Will keep looking.

FV.

kestrel

Aw well, here's my photo of the Snow Bunting. Great photos Peter P & Peter R. Think I need to change my phone Gerry, great photo. Hope the bunting hangs around for another while. Also photo by Tommy of Whooper Swans in flight at Cruistown. Good day out today!

Kestrel at Cruiestown taken with nokia phone.

Attachments

• 11112007646.jpg
    11112007646.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 92
A lot of Red Throated Divers off Hermitage today, at least 40 counted. Also 2 Slav Grebe..
At Mell Quarry there were 5 Tufted Ducks, 1 Golden Eye, 2 GC Grebe, 3 Mute Swan, 1 Mallard (there had to be more, but that was all that I could locate), 1 Moorhen, 2 Dab Chicks and at least 50 Coot - they have really taken over there.

Cruisetown Strand

6 Scaup, 1 Med Gull, 1 Dark-bellied Brent and 1 Snow Bunting at Cruisetown Strand this morning.

Attachments

• MedGullcruisetown1107.JPG
    MedGullcruisetown1107.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Darkbelliedbrentcruisetown1107.JPG
    Darkbelliedbrentcruisetown1107.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 83
  • SnowBuntingCruisetown1107.JPG
    SnowBuntingCruisetown1107.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 95
For anyone interested, Steve Newton of Birdwatch Ireland is giving a presentation at a public meeting/seminar organised by the Irish Seal Sanctuary in Balbriggan at 17.00 on Saturday 17th November. The theme of the meeting is oilspills and wildlife with a focus on action in the Fingal County area. It will take place in the Bracken Court Hotel on Balbriggan Main Street.

Today
salterstown- 2 snow buntings along the road this morning
cruisetown-forsters tern,dark bellied brent ,hen harrier(FV)
dunany pt-snow bunting (EL)
togher/keenans cross pond-imm./female ruddy duck (EL)
Lurgangreen-yellow leg gull (PK)
slieve foye woods-crossbill (JD)
clogherhead-little auk (JM)
not a bad total for the wee county
the last record of ruddy duck(for louth) that i can find was a male at togher pond in july 1992 anyone no of a more recent record. attached distant pic in failing light

Attachments

• KICX4718a.jpg
    KICX4718a.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
not a bad total for the wee county

Superb results all in one day and not forgetting the hen harrier at cruisetown. Had a close encounter with a barn owl along the bog road nr Mullins Cross (Dorians Pub on left) yesterday evening at 5pm. Not sure if it is the same bird that has been seen in Stabannon. The bog road is 1.5 miles (per corvus fugit) from my place.

FV.

and not forgetting the hen harrier at cruisetown.

sorry Freddie,had forgot about that.stabbannon seems to be the most reliable spot for barn owls around these parts.i wonder how many pairs remain in the county i take a very pesimistic view and reckon that there are very few.hope im wrong

Clogher Head

2 Grey Phalarope and 1 Slavonian Grebe at Clogher Head this morning from an hour long sea watch. No sign of the Little Auk.
Gadwall and Ruddy Duck still at Keenan's Cross Pond along with some new ducks (4 Pochard 6 Tufties and a male Wigeon).Also a lone Whooper Swan.
Merlin at Cruisetown along with a Sanderling -3 fields in- flying low along a hedge against the wind!
The Peregrine is back for the second winter in a row at the field at the bottom of my garden.

Attachments

• Clogher head stormy.jpg
    Clogher head stormy.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
A very ragged fem merlin around Cooley point also this morning - nothing out at sea up here - well done with the phals.

Me back from trip to charleston, south carolina...ticked off a few more american birds (clapper rail, wood stork etc)...but seem to have missed a great days birding here on Sunday (i was asleep mostly!)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back