• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

60ED vs.80 non ED (1 Viewer)

albatrosviajero

Hi,
Hello,
I'm looking scope and I want to ask what can be better than these two models:
Helios Fieldmaster-ED60DS ED 15-45x60 Spotting, or
Celestron Ultima 80,
One is a scope with ED lens and the other has 80mm lens .. But without ED
His advice helped me a lot, sure!
Gretting.
Al

Hi,
Hello,
Celestron Ultima 80,
Gretting.
Al

I use a 65mm scope and I already find it too heavy and big... (and I am actually a 28yo male)

Honestly the 80-100mm scopes work for me as stationary optics only. But that is a very personal opinion... most of the people disagree with me and use the 80mm.

I like scope+tripod+bino+dslr+lens everything inside 1 backpack only... it is personal preference, i guess.

This reminds me of a discussion I had with a salesperson many years ago when I was considering either a 42 inch non-HD television or a 32 inch HD television. He stated that bigger isn't necessarily better. I think the same logic applies here. All else being equal then go with the ED glass model. You will most likely receive a sharper image and more detail with the ED model despite the smaller objective diameter.

It depends upon the type of observing you plan to do. The Helios Fieldmaster ED 60 will be lighter and easier to move about, and the views will be better if you plan to take photographs. On the other hand, the Celestron Ultima 80 will collect more light and be beneficial if you plan on observing in low light situations at higher magnification (45x-60x).

...Bob
Kentucky

Last edited:
Hello.

Hi. Did you have some reviews for Bresser? I have also interested ....

Hi,
Hello,
Celestron Ultima 80,
Gretting.
Al

How good a scope is don't just depend on size or whether it's ED or not, many other factors need to be taken into account. Personally I prefer a 60 (or in my case 65mm) scope anyway.

But I think ED glass provides a higher quality in general ... or not?

How good a scope is don't just depend on size or whether it's ED or not, many other factors need to be taken into account. Personally I prefer a 60 (or in my case 65mm) scope anyway.

Absolutely right ED glass is better.
I have owned a couple of Kowa scopes, the 821 and the 823. Same design, objective size etc, the only difference being that the 821 had non ED glass and the 823 ED glass. I was lucky enough to try them side by side as I was trading in the 821 for the 823. The difference in optical performance was incredible, it was an overcast day and the 821 was giving decent views of jackdaws across the way, but with the 823 it was like a searchlight had been switched on the image was so much brighter. I used my own eyepiece for both scopes so it was definitely the ED glass giving the improvement.
There is no way now that I would consider buying non ED glass in a scope, not even to save loadsa money.

I would agree with Steve to an extent. The scope needs to have a good design from the start in order to provide a decent image...even without ED glass. However, since scopes provide such a high magnification (in comparison to binoculars) any image "issues" will be more readily noticeable. One that can be relatively easily corrected, through the use of ED glass in the design, is chromatic aberration.

When properly utilized the ED glass will provide a sharper, brighter, more contrasty image. All of these factors contribute to the optical performance level of the scope and therefore provide a higher level of enjoyment to the user.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back