• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Nestbox Questions (1 Viewer)

Goldfinch12

Young Birder
Hi,

A few years ago i got a nestbox with a camera.

The first year it wasn't used. The second year the camera didn't work. But there was some sign of activity round the box. This year we cleared the box out and found a dead Great Tit chick in the box.

We've now fixed the camera and have it working so i have a few questions.

Firstly is it too late now? (theres been no visits to the box)

Secondly what type of birds can i expect to possibly come in? (I live in liverpool).

Finally, If it isn't too late, I put some moss in. Could this put them off?

Thanks.

That's a shame about last year. On the up side, if birds nested there last year, there's every chance they will again this year.

I have a nestbox with camera too and last year was the first year for it. Within days a Blue Tit was roosting in it and by mid-March a nest was well under construction. 9 eggs were laid, but sadly not a single one of them hatched, despite constant incubation.

There's no nesting activity yet this year, but a Blue Tit has roosted throughout the winter, so in a couple of weeks I expect to see some material going in.

By the sounds of it, your box has a similar entrance hole to mine, so expect either Blue or Great Tits to nest in it. I wouldn't put any material in the box, but there's no harm in leaving some near to it to encourage them. I often see old cuddly toys nailed to trees at reserves. The birds take material from these to use in nests. Just make sure no young children get upset!

Good luck, still plenty of time to see some nest building going on yet.

Thanks,

There may be activity near the box but most of the activity in the garden happens around 11 and i'm not in then on weekdays.

I've been putting out moss for a week or so now and already a pair of Robins taking it and diving into the ivy on the fence.

So hopefully in the next few weeks i'll have a few visitors and then a family.

Hopefully within the next few

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back