• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue tits (2 Viewers)

Hello, we have a bird box with camera in our garden. For the last few years they have nested but are generally nearly finished the nest by now. They are currently visiting the box but no sign of any nesting materials yet. I am intrigued to know if they have already built a nest elsewhere and just checking out their old nest site. Or if they are yet to start building because the weather has been so bad. Any ideas? Does anyone have blue tits who have already built a nest this year? Thanks, Lucy

Attachments

• 6F8E506A-19B2-4162-AB3F-F70472851227.jpeg
    6F8E506A-19B2-4162-AB3F-F70472851227.jpeg
    774.2 KB · Views: 4
We have blue tits and they are currently roosting in the nest box at night but haven’t yet started building a nest in there.

We have blue tits and they are currently roosting in the nest box at night but haven’t yet started building a nest in there.
Thanks for your reply. That’s helpful to know. I really hope they choose our bird box to nest again, it’s fascinating to watch. I’ve just checked the camera and they are not roosting overnight 🤷‍♀️🤞

Hi Lucy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. That's good news Lucy - good luck to them!

Trouble is for the likes of tits is that they have to guess rather, what the weather is going to be like when the eggs hatch. The caterpillars shouldn't be too big in the first days. One year there was torrential rain in places which washed the caterpillars off the leaves where they weren't able to be gleaned by the adults (they rarely, if ever, feed on the ground, though I have seen the odd one do it occasionally).

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

This can vary a bit, but I have 3 datapoints from my own Blue Tit nests in 2012, 2014 and 2016. The first egg was produced on resp 27/4, 4/4 and 20/4 in those years. The nest building itself sometimes starts weeks before the first egg, but sometimes just a few days before.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back