• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GS 665 GA ED made of matches? (1 Viewer)

Redbridge

Hi all. So I've had two problems with this scope so far. Not so long back it fell over in the wind onto some grass and the whole eyepiece system fell apart! Today, whilst in a hide, it fell over (when the tripod was not extended) from a height of no more than 50 cm and was cushioned by my Mulepack but yet I now have a huge dent in the body which has stopped the focusing wheel from turning at all. Today's incident really has me miffed as it slowly fell to the ground, cushioned, and yet it has a huge dent in it! I know most people will say "look after it more!" but honestly I wouldn't have expected the damage it got today from such a tiny impact. I know Opticron have great after-sales service but I'm more upset with the apparent lack of ability this scope has to taking a knock. Has anyone had similar experience with this scope, or any of Opticron's scopes? Also, how quick are they are repairing and dispatching an item? It will inevitably have to be sent away. Cheers.

Redbridge - any height more than a few mm is not a good height to drop a scope from - the angle of the impact and which part of the scope hits first determine how much damage will be suffered.

You don't mention whether you had the scope repaired after the first fall. If you did then I guess you some experience of our service turnaround time. We state up to three weeks for repairs from receipt to return but if you have a particular date by which you need the scope (for a holiday or birding trip for example), we try our best to get it back to you by that date.

Please contact Sarah or Stuart in our service department on 01582 726522 for advice on how to return it and to get an indication of what the current turnaround time is.

Cheers, Pete

P.S. The scope is made of polycarbonate and aluminium, not matches :)

I damaged the eyepiece mount on a GS52ED when the monopod fell against a gatepost. This was quite a hefty knock. Also damage to the rubber on the eyecup. All repaired and returned well within three weeks at a cost of £75. Scope as good as new.

I have no experience of this particular scope. I do however have experience with Opticron. You can see my views in this forum. All very positive. I know it stings when you damage equipment, but you are dealing with a company known to provide outstanding customer service.

I know how useful the Mulepack/Scopac can be but perhaps you ought top consider just what adding a triangular piece of material does to a tripod? It has the effect of turning the tripod into a the equivalent of a sail or kite and your scope will fall over. Don't forget that scopes are precision instruments and are not designed to 'bounce'

Thanks for the replies.

Pete: I didn't actually 'drop' the scope as such, the tripod (not extended) tipped over in a hide. No, I didn't have the scope repaired by Opticron, but, Opticron sent me the piece out and I fixed it myself. However, they were helpful in this situation. With regards to the time it takes to be repaired I asked Stuart whilst on the phone and he gave me the same answer. I sent it away on Thursday and it arrived Friday (I tracked it). I imagine I will hear from Opticron Monday/Tuesday at best. Thanks for your help.

Chris: I already knew about it acting as a sail as such and always held on tight when in windy conditions. This incident however was in a hide when the tripod was not extended. I do think though that the extra weight of the Mulepack (I carry food/water/books/notebook/jumper etc.) may lead to an extra instability when the legs are not fully opened out via adding a whole load of weight to one side of the tripod and as I said it did fall onto the bag, i.e. the extra weight may have led to the tripod tipping in that direction. Cheers.

Thanks Moocher and TwoDogs, also.

Perhaps I expect the scope to be more rugged than what it is and should, in future, take even more care than I believe I already do with it. It has come at an exceptionally poor time though as I'm only an hour away from the Pacific Swift in Suffolk!! Stuart was exceptionally helpful on the phone (even if he did get me worried for a moment saying it may be economically unfixable if the prisms/lenses are duff) thankfully they are fine!

As soon as I know what's going on, I will report back!

Cheers, Kayn.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back