• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dacelo gaudichaud (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

No dout Dacelo gaudichaud honours Charles Gaudichaud-Beaupré. OD we can find here and plate to description here.

The only thread I found about this name here:

Note; in today's HBW [still] Alive Key the latter bird commemorates:

● Anna Kubary née Yelliott (fl. 1896) daughter of US missionary on Ponapé/Pohnpei and wife of Polish collector Jan S. Kubary (syn. Dacelo gaudichaud)

I just ask myself from baptism record here when or why he got the name Beaupré? From marriage?

By the way here without Beaupré. Of couse we can find his name also in plants here. See also here where we find Beaupré in brackets or here no second name. Supported by here.

Last edited:
French (Beaupré): topographic name from Old French beu 'lovely' + pred 'meadow'. The nautical term beaupré 'bowsprit' may have given rise to its use as a secondary surname for a sailor.
Possibly?

I see Anna Kubary is well cover in a previous thread but I see this recent website adds an extra complication:

https://nakrawedziraju.com/2018/03/24/point-of-no-return-po-takim-przelomie-odwrotu-nie-bedzie/

It would appear according to what I can gleam that this author considers that "Anna" was actually an Anglicised name and that Mrs Kubary's given name was Yelirt. Although I can not find the Straub reference mentioned by Justin in a free version I find that Alexander Yellott definitely existed and had children on Pohnpei (died 1874 in Hawaii see attached). An thus I consider that the idea that this name was anglicised to be spurious.

I venture Anna is one of few first nation inhabitants of Oceania to have ever have been honoured with an honourific. Pity its a synonym.

The origin of Charles Gaudichaud's "extra" surname Beaupré is obscure. it is not from his wife Elisa Henriette Kaverdy nor from his parents surnames. It was not even used in his daughters death certificate (attached). The Italians have a name called a Soprannome that is an unofficial name that identifies the family line - do the French??

Attachments

• record-image_ (4).jpg
    record-image_ (4).jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 5
  • yellot1875.JPG
    yellot1875.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I venture Anna is one of few first nation inhabitants of Oceania to have ever have been honoured with an honourific. Pity its a synonym.
Paul, (even if a pity) as stated earlier, I doubt she's honoured in any name (not even in a synonym). See earlier threads dealing with annae or kubaryi.

The guy in this thread, Monsieur Charles Gaudichaud, I haven't checked at all. No idea what his full name was.

/B

Last edited:
Or simply someone has introduced the name accidentaly and from there the copy and paste avalanche started. Like if a leading sheep jumps down a cliff the rest of the sheep herd follows or whales. I would claim him without Beaupré.

Last edited:
Sorry I ahve to come back on this as The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Gaudichaud
Gaudichaud's Kingfisher Dacelo gaudichaud Quoy & Gaimard, 1824 [Alt. Rufous-bellied Kookaburra]
Charles Gaudichaud-Beaupré (1789–1854) was born in Angoulème, France. He studied pharmacy and became a dispenser in the in the French Navy (1810). He took part in several large expeditions as....

Apart from the fact that I do not see a Beaupré in his name I feel he may have died in 1852 if I read here

L'année 1852 fut fatale à la botanique. La mort frappe presque en même tempe Auguste Saint-Hilaire, Gaudichaud et Achille Richard.

But does not fit to what's written in this well researched article here. And Auguste Saint-Hilaire died 1853. So maybe 1852 can be ignored.

I am wondering if the Beaupré derived from Notice biographique sur M. Gaudichaud-Beaupré, membre de l'Institut in Le Biographe universel , Revue générale biographique , politique et littéraire 1844 from E. Pascallet to find here.

Last edited:
Full text Le Biographe universel : revue générale biographique et littéraire / par une société d'hommes de lettres français et étrangers ; sous la direction de M. E. Pascallet | 1844-06-01 | Gallica

Death 16. Jan 1854 seems correct according Visionneuse - Archives de Paris p 1 and 2/ of 51

So no Beaupré mentioned. Couldn't find his entry in Léonore.

Or are (only) membre de la Légion-d'Honneur not listed there?

Il a été créé membre de la Légion-d'Honneur, le 29 octobre 1826.

I feel this name may have been mixed up with Charles-François Beautemps-Beaupré. If we read [From the Library of Captain Louis Freycinet] Carte Hydrographique Des Partes Connues De La Terre Dressee sur la Projection de Mercator, Poar C.LO. Gressier , Ingenieur Hydrographe de la Marine . . . 1835 (with extensive manuscript annotations) - Barry Lawrence Ruderman Antique Maps Inc.
This chart was most likely a presentation copy of Lartigue’s work on the winds given to Freycinet, in order to allow Freycinet to present Lartigue's findings to the French Academy of Sciences. Lartigue submitted this chart along with an essay to the Académie. Freycinet, as rapporteur of a committee of Academicians including himself, Keeper of the Dépôt de la Marine Charles-François Beautemps-Beaupré, and astronomer Félix Savary, found Lartigue’s work of high quality. This annotated chart was probably then used by Freycinet when he made his report to the Académie in April 1840.

Last edited:
So far as I can find, the compound name "Gaudichaud-Beaupré" may have appeared before Charles' death only in his 1844 biography (authored by E. Pascallet), and in one single bibliographic dictionary published in 1852 (which may well have taken it from the biography, as a number of other biographies by the same author were cited in this volume).
(And no one else seems to ever have been referred by this name, be it before or after Charles' death.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back