• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minor on Falco rupicoloides fieldi (Elliot, 1897) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Falco rupicoloides fieldi (Elliot, 1897) OD v.1:no.2 (1897) - Catalogue of a collection of birds obtained by the expedition into Somali-land - Biodiversity Heritage Library
It gives me pleasure to call this species after Marshall Field, Esq. whose name this institution bearsm and who is its most liberal patron.

Hyetornis fieldi Cory, 1895 https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/auk/v012n03/p0278-p0279.pdf
I have named this fine species in honor of Mr. Marshall Field, the founder of the Field Columbian Museum of Chicago.

Greater Kestrel ssp. Falco rupicoloides fieldi D. G. Elliot, 1897
Marshall Field (1835–1906) was an American business magnate, founder of Marshall Field & Co., philanthropist and a major patron of the Columbian Museum of Chicago, which changed its name to the Field Museum in his honour (1905) and to better reflect its focus on natural sciences.

Marshall Field (1835-1906) US business magnate, founder of Marshall Field & Co, philanthropist, major patron of Chicago Mus. (subsp. Falco rupicoloides, syn. Hyetornis rufigularis).

Marshall Field - Wikipedia gives the birth date as August 18, 1834. Of course we can find other sources like Graceland Cemetery: Marshall Field which are claiming 1835.

I assume 1834 is correct but I do not have the final evidence.

Of course not for him Psittacus Fieldii, Swainson, 1825
To the liberality of my friend Barron Field, Esq., I am indepted for the only specimen, so far as I can learn, now in the country; and it is in justice to the scientific acquirements of that gentlemen, that I here commemorate it by his name.
Barron Field (1786-1846) English jurist, Advocate-Fiscal in Ceylon, Supreme Court Judge for New South Wales 1816-1824, Chief Justice of Gibraltar 1826, poet, essayist (syn. Geoffroyus geoffroyi).
Nothing to add about him apart from the fact that the plant genus Fieldia A.Cunn. Geographical memoirs on New South Wales; by various hands...together with other papers on the aborigines, the geology, the botany, the timber, the astronomy, and the meteorology of New South Wales and Van Diemen's Land : Field, Barron, 1786-1846, ed : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive was named for him. See also CRC World Dictionary of Plant Names .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back