• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (2 Viewers)

The Great White Egret was on the Hall Lake from at least 4:35 until 5:50 when it went to roost. Managed to get some digiscoped pics but the light wasn't good and it was at the far side of the lake (excuses, excuses!) pics attached.

Otherwise around the reserve it was pretty quite. There were 10 Ringed Plover on JWs. 320 Golden Plover on the North Pit along with a small flock of Linnets. 5 Little Egret and 8 Shelduck around the reserve. An Oystercatcher was with the GWE on the Hall Lake.

All the best

Steve

Attachments

• 3A20160228_173654.jpg
    3A20160228_173654.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 1A20160228_172505.jpg
    1A20160228_172505.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 48
The Great White Egret was this morning again on Hall Lake then flew to the heronry, other highlights were 1 Peregrine, 2 Oystercatcher, 60+ Golden Plover, 13 Ringed Plover and 2 Stonechat. A Barn Owl was reported on NP.
Late report of brief views of a Water Pipit on the JWs East Scrape which then flew towards the NP on 26/2, and a probable Merlin flew through on 27/2. The drake Pochard/Tufted hybrid was again on Dosthill NR on 28/2.
February's total was 97 compared to 92 in 2015 and 95 in 2014.

GWE tried to land on Hall Lake at 4.30pm but spooked (possibly by me) and then got mobbed by Black-Headed Gulls and returned to the roost. Stayed in there first preening high up and then dropped down but still visible.

Again poor picture attached but gives you a comparison of the GWE/LE feet.

Steve

Attachments

• GWE3.jpg
    GWE3.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 77
Not very pleasant birding in the heavy snow showers today (we could do with some more hides) and not much about either, highlights were the Great White Egret on Hall Lake but it flew south in one of the showers, 1 Peregrine, 6 Oystercatcher, 5 Redwing, 1 Stonechat and 10 Siskin. 2 Curlew and a Green Sandpiper were reported earlier per RSPB.
5 Dunlin were around yesterday.
68 species of birds have been seen so far this month.

I know you are probably all getting bored of it but just one more picture from this morning showing how elegant this bird is. I won't mention GWE again this year.

Steve

Attachments

• GWE4.jpg
    GWE4.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 127
A good couple of hours down the reserve tonight. Started with Short Eared Owl on Fishers Mill at 4.27pm and finished with another on the play meadow at 6.10pm. In between that there were 8 Oystercatcher, 5 Ringed Plover, 991 Golden Plover and at 5.30pm the 2 Curlew dropped onto JW. On NP there were 8 Goosander and down the West side was the Pink Footed and Egyptian Goose. On the way back picked up a Barn Owl at Fishers Mill and 2250 Starlings roosted on Silt Pool. In the Heronry were the usual 2 types of Egret.

Steve

And on to all-dayers proper. To secure the date now in your diaries, the annual Spring All-Day Birdwatch this year will be on Saturday 7th May (the weekend after the May Day bank holiday). The usual mix of birds, banter, bacon butties and baking - more details closer to the time. Hoping to tap up a number of other West Midlands sites - Belvide, Sandwell, Grimley, Marsh Lane, Venus Pool, Middleton, Salford Priors - to also take part

A day for your diaries.

Signs of Spring today with an Avocet on JWs and a Skylark singing, also seen were 4 Oystercatcher, 4 Ringed Plover, still plenty of Golden Plover and 4 Stonechat.

Ringed Plover numbers had grown to 10 by dusk and a single Dunlin with them. Pink Foot and Egyptian Goose on West side and the Avocet had relocated to NP where only half of it was visible so not enough for a year tick. 2 Barn Owls on Fishers Mill, plenty of Golden Plover but photos were poor and difficult to count - 517 but seemed a lot more. GWE in the roost. Also reported was Short Eared Owl at the river bridge and Moocher had Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Robin Bridge.

Steve

Last edited:
I must have been on the reserve after Geoff and I bumped into Steve on my way off. The Avocet was initially on JWs but transferred to the North Pit late afternoon after being harassed by Black-headed Gulls. In addition to what Geoff and Steve have posted there were 4 Redpoll on the feeders. I took a photo of the Golden Plover in the air (as did Steve Pick) but it's not good enough to get accurate numbers.

All the best

Steve

Last edited:
Wednesday afternoon at Middleton. I just about managed to get onto the reserve with the water nearly over my wellies. Along with 24 Shelduck, who must have thought they were on an estuary, there were still the large flock of Golden Plover, 2 Oystercatcher and 16 Little Egrets. The pictures are of the bridleway looking from Fisher's Mill bridge and the path to the hide.

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• 20160309_140202-800x600.jpg
    20160309_140202-800x600.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20160309_150127-800x600.jpg
    20160309_150127-800x600.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 76
2 Avocet still on North Pit tonight. Water levels still high on JW and Fishers Mill. Single Stonechat and approx 300 Golden Plover on JW. Number of Starling roosting on Silt Pool growing as they did last March and were at 5000 when I left and they were still increasing in what was an impressive murmuration.

Steve

Nothing

No Avocets, No Owls & No GWE. Not a lot at all just a single male Stonechat and 5000 Starlings again on Silt Pool.

Actual Starling counts:-

Friday - 5537
Saturday - 5214

There goes my theory about numbers increasing

Last edited:
Last week wasn't too bad with Snow Bunting, Twite, Brent Goose, Marsh Harrier, Knot and Bar-tailed Godwit, yes the caravan site in Lincs. is open again.
Back at Midd Lakes today and not as muddy as I expected, highlights were 1 or 2 Sparrowhawk, 5 Buzzard, 1 Kestrel, 1 Peregrine and a Red Kite was reported, 6 Oystercatcher, 70 Golden Plover, 3 Ringed Plover, 1 Redshank, 1 Green Sandpiper, 5 Dunlin, 1 immature Common Gull and some Redpoll and Siskin still at Dosthill NR.
My first butterfly of the year was a Small Tortoiseshell.

Today a Black-tailed Godwit on the JWs was the 14th wader species for the year, also seen were 32 Golden Plover, 5 Ringed Plover, 1 Redshank and 4 Dunlin.
A singing Chiffchaff was in the woods, this was also reported yesterday so compared with 1940 it was 4 days late, not much change in 76 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back