• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olivon Universal Digital Camera Adapter (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
I have just bought an Olivon Universal Digital Camera Adapter to go with my rock bottom digiscoping system of an Acuter 65mm scope and a Fuji F30 camera.

http://www.olivonoptics.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=112

I have been using a Baader style adapter which is pretty good but has a few inherent problems. On the Acuter scope it attaches to the rotating barrel section of the zoom lens. This means that it will rotate even when tightened up, it is difficult to fit in exactly the same place each time and the zoom cannot be used with the adapter attached. Of course it must also be removed if I want to look through the scope.

The Olivon adapter is designed for the range of Olivon scopes but fits the Acuter in the same way. It comes with a threaded collar which screws onto a thread at the base of the eyepiece. The collar has a shoulder on it so the adapter is fitted over the collar, pushed down to the shoulder and then tightened. This should make it possible to fit it in the same position each time. The zoom can be operated with the the adapter in position if required.

The other big advantage is that it incorporates a swing away design similar to the Griturn. Once a small locking screw is loosened the whole platform assembly can be swung out of the way and then locked in that position by the screw.

It is slightly lighter than the Baader, probably not quite as well made but not at all bad and cost me £35 from Sherwoods:

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/olivion_optics/olivon_spotting_scopes_fs.htm

It needs a bit of fine tuning (gentle bending) to get it set up perfectly but at the price I don't mind that and first signs are promising. If I take any fantastic photos (wishful thinking) I will post them here.

Ron

I have had some good results from an Acuter Scope, although it was an 80mm, needs some practice, and fixed eyepieces work far better than the zoom. Ernie

erniehatt said:
I have had some good results from an Acuter Scope, although it was an 80mm, needs some practice, and fixed eyepieces work far better than the zoom. Ernie
Yes, Acuter actually recommend the ME19 20x fixed eyepiece for digiscoping, so I might invest in one of them sometime. It also looks a lot shorter than the zoom which would be handy as the camera is at its maximum rear travel at the moment. Moving it forwards would also move the weight nearer the pivoting point of the scope.

I have had some pretty good results so far but nothing stunning yet. Those blasted birds won't keep still. I'll have to keep practising.

Ron

NWbirder -

I use one very similar, in fact it might be the same. Works well once you setup, make sure to mark the base so you can get the camera on again in the same position. I also made a shutter release to minimize vibration. My samsung s500 does not have screw-in button and 2 s is an eternity when trying for that ever so elusive shot.

good luck have fun and make as much as you can "just because"

Russ

Another member, AZRim, has just purchased an Olivon adapter for his Kowa TSN-821M scope and, apparently, the threaded sleeve supplied with the adapter fits the threads at the base of the eyepiece perfectly. If this is the case, and the adapter works properly otherwise, it is possible it will fit some other scopes in the Kowa range. I look forward to hearing his experiences with the adapter.

Ron

I bought one a couple of weeks ago but havent done a lot with it. I sleeved it down with some plastic pipe to fit my opticron eye piece. once it was firm i tried my kodak[it was great] and then my Nikon5600. This was suprising as its kak for hand held shots and it produced good enough images. I still havent had it out in the field thoughand thats the real test. All in all its not to bad for cheap kit. I did have to bend the camera mount bracket by hand to work. Im not sure about the amount of movement from the hinge when the cameras lined up. has any one found this a problem?

I bought one a couple of weeks ago but havent done a lot with it. I sleeved it down with some plastic pipe to fit my opticron eye piece. once it was firm i tried my kodak[it was great] and then my Nikon5600. This was suprising as its kak for hand held shots and it produced good enough images. I still havent had it out in the field thoughand thats the real test. All in all its not to bad for cheap kit. I did have to bend the camera mount bracket by hand to work. Im not sure about the amount of movement from the hinge when the cameras lined up. has any one found this a problem?
I had to do a bit of fettling to mine after I bought it. Like you I had to bend the camera support bracket a little to line the camera up squarely when viewed from the side (easy enough to do as it is made from pressed sheet metal). The other slight problem is that they have modified it a bit since they introduced it and the bar which travels backwards and forwards with the camera, which used to be made from solid material, is now made from pressed sheet metal. It is a top hat section and after adjustment is locked in place by a screw which tightens underneath the 'brim' of the 'top hat' on one side. As the section is unsupported above it tends to twist the camera support sideways a bit. I fitted a plastic spacer to the bracket above the bar to fill the space so the clamping screw now clamps it all together solidly.

I'm not sure which movement you are referring to, unless you mean you can twist the camera slightly when it is in the shut position. If so it might help to gently tighten the nut on the hinge bolt to take up any slack.

I suppose you get what you pay for but, all in all, I think it's a pretty good product which could do with a bit of further refinement by the manufacture. It would then be an excellent adapter.

Ron

All the movement is is a bit of free play when the camera is swung in position. Its not been a problem with the self timer but who wants to use that. What i found was it led to blurs when you were useing the shutter release manualy. This is probably something i will work out as i get a bit more practiced. Its still early days.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back