• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Ospreys (1 Viewer)

Hmmm... not sure whether this is good news or not. The first egg hatched after 34 days, this one after just 33 days. Both of these are a bit less than the usual quoted incubation period (the Loch Garten blog quoted 36-42 days, but it seems to vary depending who you ask).

I just worry that as a consequence of the second clutch, the eggs and chicks are maybe a bit fragile (calcium deficient, perhaps?) and are hatching prematurely and therefore more vulnerable. Hopefully, I'm just being pessimistic, but even so, I would rather have seen it hatch later this week after a nice average 37 day incubation period.

You are being pessimistic.......Incubation times are just a guide. If it had been 27 days then maybe worry, but 33/34 - not a problem. Back in 1959 when Operation Osprey started the incubation was only 34 days and all three chicks survived then.

I don't believe that the unfortunate death of the first chick had anything at all to do with calcium deficiency.....if the chick had hatched after 39 days and (at the age of 29 hours) a fully grown adult had stood on its head, believe me, that chick would have suffered the same fate.

Last edited:
Very sad news indeed.Hopefully,the other breeding birds are doing well in the "Strath" and elsewhere,come to think of it.:-C

I think this confirms it EJ has just left the nest. What a sad season and EJ tried so hard. Next year she will have to keep herself chaste until Henry arrives and not be a naughty girl.

Attachments

• nest.jpg
    nest.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 116
Hi Ben,

It was awful seeing an empty nest but yesterday and today I took two screen grabs (if that is the right phrase) of a very evil looking EJ which she has every right to this year, the madam.

I was just so pleased to see her there, I guess as the fish farm has a plentiful supply of food they will stay there until it is time to leave for Africa (keeping my fingers crossed). Daft I know but I missed my early morning views of her which I had from when she arrived back in April.

Don't tell her I now watch the Loch Lowes Ospreys so relaxing, while I am sitting here they are just lying down there doing nothing too but comical now they are getting a bit too big for mum to brood properly, too many legs and wings if that makes sense.

Ann

Try again ,
I am real sorry too, I had the 8 o`clock shift on Friday 11 May met with the first egg of the new clutch , Quite a day in Abernethy !!!
First time second clutch laid in a known nest for 25 years actually the result of an egg thief , though forgot to ask if the hatch was successfull
Asking alot of a bird to lay twice a full clutch so quick on reflection,
possibly the chicks except the first one just didnt have the stamina and was asking too much of EJ to fill up the eggs , Its all fine saying shese being well fed and shese is still in good condition well mibi but then mibbi not Might no have been meant to happen all things considered , though everyone was Very postive and Optimistic never ever said Die and also ,,, David proficied friday for the egg in the wonderfull enthusiastic Jodee accent he promotes so vigourously "The teahs wuh rinnin doon ma legs"
Anyway,, one thing ,, They will return !!!!!!
No sure about this calcium debate though eggshells looked ok

Some kind words from the Warden at Loch of the Lowes. I thought you might like to read.

27 June 2007

With an osprey’s life there are a lot of things that can go wrong and it is with a lot of sadness that I have heard about the troubles at Loch Garten; losing all three chicks. I have found it heartbreaking each year when we have lost chicks here at Loch of the Lowes, especially when staff and volunteers become so involved watching the eggs 24 hours a day. When they do hatch you hope your troubles are over but sadly that is not always the case. It is always hard to lose even one chick but to lose three must be pretty soul destroying and our best wishes go out to all the staff and volunteers at Loch Garten. It makes me appreciate our two survivors all the more.

The blog has been updated. The birds are still there defending the nest, so you'll still get to see them if you're passing that way.

Hi Folks,

Sunday 5th August and the blog has been updated. E J is still here, the warden/writer thinks she may leave within the next 2 weeks.

http://blogs.rspb.org.uk/lochgartenospreys/archive/2007/08/05/The-countdown-has-begun.aspx

At least there is one happy couple around this year a young man proposed to his girlfriend at Loch Garten and she said yes. If they happen to be members of BF I would like to add my congratulations to those of the team at Loch Garten.

Ann
The Osprey Fanatic

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back