• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Southern Thailand Birds (1 Viewer)

Robert D.

Help sought on the following birds photographed in Dec.

Barbet....Kaeng Krachan National Park...I am confused as to whether it is Moustached or Blue-throated. There is an obvious moustach suggesting Moustached, but there is a black eyebrow rather than a black eye-stripe.

Two photos of the same bird.....Khao Sok National Park....looks like a Philentoma but can not match it with either species. Appears to have brown on the wing.

Raptors, same bird.....Khao Sok National Park....I am stumped again. I have heavily lighted the images.

cheers

Rob

Attachments

• Barbet.jpg
    Barbet.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 111
  • m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 105
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 106
  • rap-1.jpg
    rap-1.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 109
  • rap-2.jpg
    rap-2.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 95
Moustached Barbet and the raptor looks like Oriental Honey Buzzard, but not 100%!
Other bird looks like it's gotta be a MB Philentoma as can't think of what else it could be....maybe a juv as can make out a hint of pale tips to coverts on pic 2....easier ones please next time Rob! ;)

The Barbet looks more like a Blue-throated, the blue surrounds the eye, the red forehead patch is prominent and the moustacial narrow.

Not sure on pics 2/3, looks a sizeable bird and there appears to be blue in the wing and tail sides, from images not able to positively ID.

The raptor could be a Changeable Hawk-Eagle but again from images more of a guess than anything else.

Thanks guys.

I am swayed more so to Blue-throated...but the moustach and eyebrow arrangements certainly doesn't help matter. I see on the net a few others have made the call for their photos of this barbet in Kaeng Krachan as just that.

Philentoma wise, I had been thinking Rufous-Winged but with the lack of a white underbelly I couldn't pin it down to it, nor to the Blue morph. I was thinking that it may be a juvenile of the blue morph, but can not located any description of what a juvenile should look like.

birdboybowley, I'll try, but can not promise anything. Only a couple more doubtful to tidy up for the trip.

cheers

Rob

Been racking my brains and Maroon-breasted Philentoma is still the only thing i can come up with Rob. An imm would be similar to adult, just duller and have paler tips to coverts

Hi,
I've never seen Philentomas, but bird 2/3 looks like an Asian Fairy Bluebird (f or j) to me. Possible?
Florian

Hi,
I've never seen Philentomas, but bird 2/3 looks like an Asian Fairy Bluebird (f or j) to me. Possible?
Florian

I must say, the same thought crossed my mind. Size alone seems right, as well as overall shape and coloring.
The Barbet is surely a Blue-throated.
'Fraid I can't help with the raptor :-C
Marie

Hi,
Florian

Yes, Asian fairy bluebird (bill, colour) - and besides Philentomas don't exist!;)

The barbet's gotta be Blue-throated - Moustached would have a more restricted red forecrown and a black stripe through the eye.

Ok, joking aside ;) I started to wonder now what you actually mean. First I thought you were hinting at my wrong use of plural of a foreign word in a foreign language. But googleing "Philentomas" gives me the impression they actually do exist, eg. here. Do others make the same mistake or did I totally miss the point?

Yes, Asian fairy bluebird (bill, colour) - and besides Philentomas don't exist!;)

The barbet's gotta be Blue-throated - Moustached would have a more restricted red forecrown and a black stripe through the eye.

And so they didn't - in Thailand guide books (that I own) ... until the 2007 Thai language Nok Mueang Thai ; Robson has them (Rufous-winged and Maroon-breasted) in south Thailand in 2002 & W(south) & S Thailand in 2008 (maybe in 2005 also?), but it's a much smaller bird and quite different from this individual. They must've snuck up from Malaysia.

Last edited:
Oh god......how did I not think of AF Bluebird???.....well done Marie!! Talk about Okham's Razor. Miss the obvious one or what....I blame the state other people made me get into this weekend...that's my story and I'm sticking with it ;)(slopes off, hanging head with shame..tut tut tut)

Oh god......how did I not think of AF Bluebird???.....well done Marie!! Talk about Okham's Razor. Miss the obvious one or what....I blame the state other people made me get into this weekend...that's my story and I'm sticking with it ;)(slopes off, hanging head with shame..tut tut tut)

I wish you a better state soon ;) but it was Florian who got the post in first with A F-Bluebird. It was a bit of a poser, but I've been in that state seeing it in the flesh!
Cheers,
Marie

Ok, joking aside ;) I started to wonder now what you actually mean. First I thought you were hinting at my wrong use of plural of a foreign word in a foreign language. But googleing "Philentomas" gives me the impression they actually do exist, eg. here. Do others make the same mistake or did I totally miss the point?

LOL, Dalat, no I just meant that I'd never seen any - despite much searching!

Everyone, thanks for the ID on the AFB. There were other ones close by at the same time, but for some reason I got Philentoma into my head for this one and it carried on even when reviewing the pics....wishful thinking I think.

Thanks again for all the interest it pinning it down.

cheers

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back