• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reptiles and Amphibians Quiz (1 Viewer)

Thanks from me too, Mil! ;)

Well, here I have a couple of small Lizards looking more peculiar than that Wall Lizard, should be far easier.

The pictures are not good and I only have a view (the pictures where taken long time ago and the camera was not good for small animals). But I hope you have fun trying to ID these two. The pictures were taken in madrid area, central Spain.

Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_2573 BF.jpg
    IMG_2573 BF.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7773 BF.jpg
    IMG_7773 BF.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Well, I'll try to ID these tomorrow 'cause I can barely keep my eyes open now, but I think that the second one is a Spiny-footed Lizard (Acanthodactylus erythrurus) juvenile, but I'll recheck tomorrow after a good night's sleep (probably) dreaming about the snakes that I'm goin' to find tomorrow... ;)

OK, here are my answers:
the first picture looks like a Large Psammodromus (Psammodromus algirus)
http://www.herp.it/indexjs.htm?SpeciesPages/PsammAlgir.htm (look at the 2nd picture)

and the second one, well, I'm not so sure about it now... I think it's either a Spiny-footed Lizard (Acanthodactylus erythrurus) (http://www.herp.it/indexjs.htm?SpeciesPages/AcantEryth.htm) or a Large Psammodromus (Psammodromus algirus) (see the 1st link, after the 2nd pic to bottom).

I think that's that... but I think we should ask Mil to double-check, just to be certain...

Sorry again for the delay in replying... too many things on hands. But I don't forget about this thread!

#1 I had it ID as Psammodromus algirus, glad to see we agree!

#2 This I thought it is Acanthodactylus erythrurus, and after checking your suggestion I still think it is.

On the other hand, both had been checked previosly by Mil, so I think we can be sure of them.

Now I'm going to prepare a couple of pictures more. I will post them tomorrow morning probably. Keep an eye on them!

Cheers!

Here I have the promised pics. There are two different (I think) bigger Lizards. The first was found in Madrid area (C Spain) and the second in Burgos area (C Spain too but further NE).

Good guess!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0203_BF Quiz.jpg
    IMG_0203_BF Quiz.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5485_Quiz BF.jpg
    IMG_5485_Quiz BF.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 72
First one is definitely a Ocellated Lizard (Timon lepidus, formerly Lacerta lepida).
The second one is definitelly in the Green Lizard group. It looks like a Green Lizard (Lacerta viridis or L. bilineata) (which is a bit puzzling if I look at the distribution map...)

Oh, boy, you were quick!!! 15 minutes after posting the pic! I didn't expect you here until tonight!!! ;)

Yes, first one I had it ID (by myself! :loveme: ) as Ocellated Lizard. The second one I think it is the Green Lizard (Lacerta viridis) but I'm going to have a look to that Lacerta bilineata, just in case... I can't remember checking that when I took the pic...

I'll tell you later what I think...

Lacerta bilineata and Lacerta viridis are two latin names for the same species (I don't know why). Sorry, I forgot to write that.

Good work on the Ocellated!

OK, I see why I couldn't remember about it! ;) The Ocellated was a great experience and this beauty was very obliging. But it wasn't in the Green Lizard's nature to collaborate with the photographer, I can be greteful I could take than pic even if the head out of focus.

Next weekend I'm planing to go back to Burgos area, where the Green Lizard pic was taken... and the place where I saw my only viper in my whole life. I saw the viper at this time of the year. Oh, I wish I could find another one and take a picture... without shaking! o:D It is so exciting to come across a Snake!

I'll try to post tomorrow something else to ID (now it is too late and I'm falling asleep on the keyboard!). Cheers!

I saw the viper at this time of the year. Oh, I wish I could find another one and take a picture... without shaking!
I hope you find it!
You could probably get to about 60 cm from it (even closer), but I wouldn't recommend that unless you know how to read Viper behaviour and because that may spook the snake into slithering away...
Just don't make any sudden movements, don't show it your teeth and definitely don't yawn so that the snake can see your teeth (sometimes regarded as a threatening gesture and they run away).
Although you don't have Vipers there that could kill you, I'd still recommend to keep a distance of about 1 m so as not to scare the thing off without getting any pictures.
If the snake starts moving and you can't get it to stop, try throwing your hat in front of it. 3 things may happen:
1. the snake will stop
2. the snake will just pass under it (most likely option, lizards do that 90% of the time)
3. the snake will curl up under it, thinking it's secure (in that case, give it a couple of minutes to settle down, then pick a nice long firm stick and use it to move your hat off the snake- but be very gentle and don't make any sudden movements)
Have fun!

It is so exciting to come across a Snake!
Oh yes it is! The heart starts pumping, the adrenalin starts flowing and there are no 2 encounters that are the same.

Thanks a lot, MlZad, for all your advices! I hope they are useful... it would mean I'm going to find a viper! ;)

The other time, it was crossing a paved road, and it was very quick. In fact, we almost had no time to observe it, we just saw it was a viper by the head shape and the pattern of the body, and it was thick with almost "no tail". But it was small, I don't think it was longer than 30-40 cm. That very day, we found another one, but dead with the head squashed. What a shame!!! I almost post a reply in Nicky mwangi's thread "Victims of prejuice" telling this but there was not much to tell about it.

Anyway, here I'm posting two more small Lizards, two views as usual. First one is from Soria area (again C Spain, to the East of Burgos) and the second one is from Madrid mountains.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_6269_en Rio Lobos Quiz.jpg
    IMG_6269_en Rio Lobos Quiz.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6273_en Rio Lobos Quiz.jpg
    IMG_6273_en Rio Lobos Quiz.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6728 copia.jpg
    IMG_6728 copia.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6732_Cercedilla copia.jpg
    IMG_6732_Cercedilla copia.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 77
we just saw it was a viper by the head shape
Forget about head shapes. A lot of snake species (I think almost every European nonvenomous species can do that) can broaden their head when they feel threatened (so the head has a triangular shape- the way they say a viper's head looks like). I'm checking out the lizards now.

Edit: I can't check them out now, I have other matters that I have to attend to (I got a book about endangered herps in Croatia :) and 2 web pages that need to be designed...)
I'll check them out tomorrow.

Last edited:
No hurry, MlZad! As I'm leaving for the weekend you can take your time, I will not come back to this thread until Monday morning probably. I hope to come back with something to post in this Quiz! ;) Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back