• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats up with the black birds hate ? (1 Viewer)

ElCucuy

Blackbirds and even crows and ravens some of the most beautiful and brilliant (not many realize their brightness) birds with potential who dont get a fair shake

Some posts, mindsets like this confuse me

Bird feeders full of fattening seeds are guarantee to bring in the junk species above all else. It's like throwing out slop for the hogs. The best thing to attract nice birds would be to toss out the bird feeders and plant and landscape your yard with plants and trees that attract the good birds naturally. That can a lot of work and pretty hard in some areas, though.

'junk species', 'the good birds', also whats wrong with hogs

Do these adolfs have a bird SS or something ?

Last edited:
Hi,

Some posts, mindsets like this confuse me

That corvids are evil is, in my opinion, a "socially defined absolute truth".

No idea what anthropologists would call it, but I've noticed that there are a few things you can try to discuss even with the nicest and most intelligent people, just to see their eyes glaze over, hear their minds snap shut, and find them repeating in-group/out-group phrases without ever giving you the opportunity to respond.

Regards,

Henning

'junk species', 'the good birds', also whats wrong with hogs
I'm guessing he/she is referring to feral hogs, which are considered an invasive species in your country and hence should not be fed.
WRT birds, apparently there are some species that hog the feeders and try to zone out other birds, thus preventing the feeding person from experiencing a more varied set of customers. Not sure how much corvids and icterids fit into that category, since I have only limited experience with feeding birds.

bkrownd appears to be based in Hawaii where, as far as I'm aware, invasive non-natives are more of a problem. Presumably by "nice birds" he means the native Hawaiian ones which he's trying to help.

The big black birds are some of my favorites! I adore crows, ravens, blackbirds, grackles and starlings. The crows around my house are highly entertaining, so they can stay :)

yeah I don't think junkbirds are meant as blackbirds or crows in this regard. Almost certainly the various introduced species. I suspect if a Hawaiian Crow showed up at a feeder he had, he would be more than happy :)

The quote is from a thread discussing grackles killing sparrows, so I don't think he is referring to the situation in Hawaii.

WRT birds, apparently there are some species that hog the feeders and try to zone out other birds, thus preventing the feeding person from experiencing a more varied set of customers.

I think this hits the nail on the head. Some common Icterids such as grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds, tend to mob feeders in large numbers. They will exclude other species and rapidly consume the bird seed, driving up costs for the human provider. So it's their behavior at feeders, rather than the birds themselves, that can create antipathy.

The quote is from a thread discussing grackles killing sparrows, so I don't think he is referring to the situation in Hawaii.

I think this hits the nail on the head. Some common Icterids such as grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds, tend to mob feeders in large numbers. They will exclude other species and rapidly consume the bird seed, driving up costs for the human provider. So it's their behavior at feeders, rather than the birds themselves, that can create antipathy.

i know that but i have seen similar mindsets allaround there are videos just like that post. Grackles surviving in nature eating other birds as many other birds do isnt justification for calling them junk species, slop eating pigs, and implying they are not 'good birds'

i never noticed blackbirds 'mobbing' or 'excluding' any bird more than others. sometimes woodpeckers, smaller brown birds idk the name of, mourning doves, jays, etc will come and peck all the other birds including blackbirds off it just depends on the day. they can hold their own. why even feed birds if you are going to discriminate against them being the birds that they were created to be and project onto them.

seems like some humans are trying to exclude the blackbirds. you are feeding them and providing food in their territory (or to better word it natural habitat) giving them food and when they come and get it, you say they are mobbing and excluding and you dislike it. its weird to me

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back