• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura Phylloscs.....? (1 Viewer)

KenM

These three birds along with Blackcaps, were present adjacent to a Children's
playground/Town Park, Pajara (Fuerteventura) last week.

No Brownie points for the first bird...or that the other two are Chiff Chaffs, albeit quite different looking birds...presumably Iberian Chiff Chaff for the 2nd bird...and Canary Island Chiff Chaff for the third? Cheers

Another two shots...the bird with the green upper-parts does look intriguing! (where it not for the dark legs and short pp!)....one would be thinking Willow Warbler. I've certainly never seen a Chiffy (which it clearly is) with almost white unders looking like that before.

The Olive-Brown individual again, most odd looking with a particularly long pale super, might tick the Canary Island Chiff Chaff box?

Attachments

• P1200428.jpeg YBW. 20.jpeg
    P1200428.jpeg YBW. 20.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 339
  • P1200740.jpeg   Chiffy race sp.Fuerteventura.jpeg
    P1200740.jpeg Chiffy race sp.Fuerteventura.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 326
  • P1200488.jpeg   Odd Phylloscopus.jpg
    P1200488.jpeg Odd Phylloscopus.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 244
  • P1200741.jpeg  Chiffy race sp. 2..jpeg
    P1200741.jpeg Chiffy race sp. 2..jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 186
  • P1200487 (2) Brown Phyllosc.2..jpg
    P1200487 (2) Brown Phyllosc.2..jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
The first one looks like a Yellow-browed Warbler.

Joakim
Well, don't take my word for it as my ID track record here isn't brilliant, but I'd tend to agree re the first pic. Pretty strong super, and if I'm making proper visual sense of the image, a strong wingbar which would fit Yellow-browed.

It is fascinating to learn that Yellow Browed Warblers seem to becoming a regular winter visitor to Fuerteventura and I wonder if this is part of a new wider wintering area in NW Africa. Comments on this thread seems to suggest that Iberian Chiffchaff does not occur on this Island, but looking at the summer and winter range maps it seems odd that Iberian Chiffchaff do not occur in Fuerteventura since it seems to be a OK area for wintering warblers and about half way between published summer and winter ranges, be it slightly out to sea.

Have there been any records of Iberian Chiffchaff in Fuerteventura or indeed other Canary Islands?

i think i recall there have been records of iberian on lanzarote. and of course canary island chiffers scarcely get also to the 2 large eastern islands but they don't breed there. indeed, on lanzarote and fuerteventura yellow-browed warblers winter on a regular basis.

FWIW here are two more images of the bird, I have seen many variants of this often cosmetically challenging species, from almost tea coloured through to brown, however I've never seen one looking so green and white as this individual?

Clearly not of a collybita/abietinus/tristis persuasion?

I don't think it is enough to say ''I tend to think not'' without qualifying?

If indeed as Lou Salomon suggests ICC has occurred on Lanzarote, which is a ''stones throw'' from Fuerteventura, it wouldn't require much of an imagination stretch to consider...that it would be perfectly feasible for ICC to occur on occasion.

I've certainly been party to observing ''reputedly'' scarce migrants on this particular island...on most of my visits, (for me there are no ''boundaries'' as these are mostly speculative at best) only ''possibilities'' for me!

Attachments

• P1200018.jpeg Chiff Chaff sp Fuertev..jpg
    P1200018.jpeg Chiff Chaff sp Fuertev..jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 161
  • P1200437.jpeg  Chiff Chaff sp..jpg
    P1200437.jpeg Chiff Chaff sp..jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 133
Is that definitely an Iberian chiffchaff?

Quite. To say that there have been Iberian on the canary Islands is possibly simply a question of perpetually repeating what others have written. And Ken does the same in thinking that Canary Is Chiffchaff occurs on Fuerte - which it does not.

If I check BWP, I see that Iberian is said to have occurred on the Canary Islands, so I have proven myself wrong, though I have not seen Ticehurst from which this statement is taken.

What proof would you expect from an Iberian Chiffchaff? Call at least? I agree that the linked photo is bright olive above, but that does not necessarily make it Iberian - though it may well be one. The super is fairly subdued and the observer does not describe the call.

I can't take Ken's photos too far as they have such poor colour and light artefacts that the true colour is hidden - though they again do look very bright and have a clear super and spikey bill. Did you hear them call Ken?

Brian S

'our results support the idea that Chiffchaffs breeding in the Iberian Peninsula (brehmii) migrate longer distances than individuals wintering in this area (collybita). After controlling for body size and allometry of feather dimensions, breeding Iberian Chiffchaffs had a shorter tail and more pointed wings than birds wintering in the same areas. These results conflict with the idea that brehmii are sedentary and mix with European migrants in winter, as this would not explain why Iberian Chiffchaffs are better suited for long-distance travelling (Swaddle & Lockwood 1998, Pérez-Tris & Tellería 2001). The most plausible explanation for our results is that brehmii Chiffchaffs winter in Africa south of the Sahara, and hence move longer distances than European collybita wintering in the Iberian Peninsula.'

Just read this here - https://www.ucm.es/data/cont/media/www/pag-33468/2003_BirdStudy_50_146.pdf - which might suggest that Iberian would winter further south?

Brian

abs. agree, brian, it's just that i found it by quick googling. should have added that without a recorded call i'll give a .... to such claims. sorry for being misleading. but the probability should be high to find an ICC on the eastern islands i guess. is that an update on BWP which states its occurence on canaries?

Quite. To say that there have been Iberian on the canary Islands is possibly simply a question of perpetually repeating what others have written. And Ken does the same in thinking that Canary Is Chiffchaff occurs on Fuerte - which it does not.

If I check BWP, I see that Iberian is said to have occurred on the Canary Islands, so I have proven myself wrong, though I have not seen Ticehurst from which this statement is taken.

What proof would you expect from an Iberian Chiffchaff? Call at least? I agree that the linked photo is bright olive above, but that does not necessarily make it Iberian - though it may well be one. The super is fairly subdued and the observer does not describe the call.

I can't take Ken's photos too far as they have such poor colour and light artefacts that the true colour is hidden - though they again do look very bright and have a clear super and spikey bill. Did you hear them call Ken?

Brian S

Brian...essentially, if you look at the "less than perfect" images, there appears to be a consensus in "crude terms" as to how "strikingly" green and white the bird appears?..this was what caught my eye in first inst...hence the ensuing shots.
Regarding the perceived length of the super, the first image in post 14, I believe contradicts your assessment above?

Also if you look at the images, you should see brown tints to the crown, this is a feature stated in Collins for ICC?

I did not hear it call, indeed the only Phyllosc. call that I heard, was from the Yellow-Browed.

FWIW having looked at the Summer and Wintering ranges (mileage covered) of
N Eastern P.collybita v Summer and Wintering ranges of P.ibericus...one might be forgiven for considering that the mileage covered for both is comparable?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back