• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clementine is no more. (1 Viewer)

alcedo.atthis

While washing down the bird bath (satellite dish on top of part of an old tree) one of our semi tame young Starlings was grabbed by a male Sparrowhawk. The speed and accuracy was incredible, the kill was quick, and for a few seconds, I wondered if I should interfere, as I had a hose in my hand, was on top of a pair of steps, and had fully clear views, as the Starrie' was grabbed within 5 feet of my feet, and dispatched on the ground not more than 10 feet below me. Interesting watching the repeated grabbing of the prey by the talons and releasing, as though the Sparrowhawk was repeatedly crushing the Starrie', rather than using the beak for killing. As I do not usually impose my will on nature, but let it happen, I did not interfere, the Sparrowhawk got it's meal, but the Starrie' paid the ultimate price. Nature in the raw.

Regards

Malky

Wow, fancy that going on beneath your feet, so to speak. I admit I would have thought about wafting the hose about in the birds general direction, but I think, my decision would have been the same as yours, I would have left him alone to have his dinner.

I don't think I would have been able to look though until I knew that the starling was dead. Big softy that I am. Still, a marvellous example of what goes on out there.

Why Clementine? Why not Clarice?

"Why Clementine? Why not Clarice?"

Ohh ma Starling, Ohh ma Starling, Ohh ma Starling Clementine!!

Regards

Malky. A song for every occasion.

alcedo.atthis said:
"Why Clementine? Why not Clarice?"

Ohh ma Starling, Ohh ma Starling, Ohh ma Starling Clementine!!

Regards

Malky. A song for every occasion.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back