• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 day visit to North Norfolk end September (1 Viewer)

Paul Rigby

riggers
Hi,

As a new member I would be grateful for someone to point me in the right direction to optimise my stay in Hunstanton. Time is tight, reccomendations please !

Cheers

Paul

Hello Paul and a warm welcome to BirdForum from those of us on staff.

Someone from your neck of the woods should be ringing in shortly. You might also want to duplicate your query in the "information wanted" forum as well. Good luck :t:

Wotcha ... 2 days in North Norfolk

Can't go far wrong with Cley & Titchwell i'd have thought.

Or maybe Snettisham (but i've never been there myself so can't say too much about it)

Anyhow, good luck

Hi Paul

A very warm welcome to Birdforum.

I will presume you have transport so will try and pick out destinations close to your area.

First of all check out the cliff area of Hunstanton (north end of town). You can view the sea there and anything could be picked up. Going South of Hunstanton (towards Kings Lynn). Realistically Snettisham is the best place but timing needs to be right. Going on an incoming tide is probably best and you could be treated with some excellent sights with the waders. Anything can turn up here. Not too much else at this time of the year that makes me recommend anywhere else in that area as I am being mindful of the tight time.

Going eastwards from Hunstanton. There are one or two places to visit such as Holme and Thornham but I would recommend starting at Titchwell. From there carry on eastwards and about half a mile turn right (at the beginning of Titchwell village). Drive up there for about a mile until you come to a large barn on your left (ignore 1st barn on your right). This is Choseley Barns. Check out the concrete area, bushes and wires at this barn. Corn Buntings should be in attendance as well as possible Tree Sparrow, plus this is a fair place for a rarity to turn up. The other side of the road is a track you can take. No need to go too far but check out the fields either side of you.

Returning back to the car drive back down to Titchwell village and continue east.

Plenty of places to visit but again thinking of time perhaps you should by-pass Holkham (excellent winter site for wintering geese) and proceed to Cley. On the way you will go through Stiffkey. Not long after you come out of the village you will go on some slightly downhill bends and you will see a small dirt track on your left (about half a mile from village). There will be a metal chain halfway up that track with Private on it. If you can get your car in there do so. Get out of the car and walk to the other side of the road. Here the land is flooded and can contain anything. There is a Wood Sandpiper there at the moment. Last year it had some Bean Geese on it.

On to Cley. Check out the reserve and also the hide next to the beach (North Hide) then check out onto the sea. There are also pools west of the lighthouse that need checking. Plenty about recently but ask the visitor centre staff what the latest news is and pick up a site map (free) from them.

Next on the agenda (still moving eastwards) is Salthouse. You will drive past an obvious largeish duck pond on your left. Do not ignore it thinking only hybrid ducks are in attendance. Med Gulls are seen here frequently as well as the odd Y L Gull. Driving past here you will come to a road on your left. This is the beach road. Check both sides of the road as you drive down. On reaching the bottom you have pools to the left of the road. You can walk all the way back to Cley if you wanted to but the main pools are within 4 - 500 yards from the car park. Back at the car park now walk eastwards as there are pools by a hill (Gramborough Hill). Check these out as well as checking Gramborough also.

There are plenty more places I could recommend but two days is not a long time to work Norfolk.

If you need any more just reply to this post and I will see what else I can come up with, unless other members make those suggestions before me.

Have a good time when you come up. If you have never been before you could be in for a treat.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back