• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Nikon Monarch 8x42.. (1 Viewer)

johnbaz

Hi all

I bought this binocular more than five years ago second hand (I know it's more than five years as the exif data for the pics says 2015)

How do I find out what gen they are please?

Have to say, These are probably the brightest and most crisp bins that I own, They're a pleasure to use :t:

Attachments

• APCJOFU.jpg
    APCJOFU.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 134
  • ef30mv8.jpg
    ef30mv8.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 115
  • ChqOTLB.jpg
    ChqOTLB.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Hi JB,

I’m not an expert on these so others may chime in . . .

In 1999 Nikon introduced the 8x42 and 10x42 HG roof prism binoculars, which were designed to compete with the alpha offerings of Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski
(see the cross-section images that I’ve previously posted at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=385267 )

Prior to this Nikon had offered various roof prism models with lesser quality and features

In 2002 Nikon introduced the first Monarch branded models, initially with 42mm objectives. They were typically designated ATB in the USA and DCF in Europe
Then x36 and x56 models were added in 2006. All were a step down from the HG line but were generally upper mid range in terms of characteristics

From the start they were phase coated. And there was at least one upgrade
A 2010-2011 catalogue (verses a 2009-2010 one) indicates that by then the x42 models had dielectric prism coating (verses 'high-reflection mirror-coating')
- see the attached page, along with the specification tables from the 2010-2011 catalogue
As Bob indicates, a common characteristic was a relatively narrow FOV

A 2010 review by Jan Miejerink of several models, along with comparison to the HG line, can be found at: https://tvwg.nl/testrapporten/kijkers/nikon_highgrade_monarch.shtml
(if you open the Google Translate application, paste the address into the left panel and then click on the right panel, you’ll get a translated version)

- - - -
The Monarch 7’s were first in a 2012-2013 catalogue, and by 2013-2014 the original Monarch’s were no longer listed

John

Attachments

• Features 2010-2011.jpg
    Features 2010-2011.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Specifications 2010-2011.jpg
    Specifications 2010-2011.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Specifications ct'd 2010-2011.jpg
    Specifications ct'd 2010-2011.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 55
Many thanks for the replies Ceaser and John :t:

When I came across these bins, I was at a local carboot sale (Fleamarket type thing to non UK people), A friend of mine had picked them up and was looking through them, It was an elderly chap wearing a trilby that had the stall, I said Hi to my mate, He replied that the bins were excellent optically and handed them to me, I asked him how much the chap was selling them for?, He replied £20 :eek!:, I asked Mike if he was having them, Nope! He had more than enough sets!, Couldn't get my money out fast enough!!

I reckon I found a bargain that day!!

John |=)|

The original Nikon Monarch was very popular back in the day. It became the leading seller for
those looking for a good binocular.
I had one and gave it to my son. They were well made, and if you can find one, get it, they were
made of very good quality.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back