• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (10 Viewers)

Thanks for the overview on the autumn migration Dave, as you say its great to find a noteworthy bird on your local patch that maybe a regular on the "hotspot" reserves in the county.

On Sunday afternoon, I flushed a Red-legged Partridge from the eastern end of Coney Meadow. Although I have seen many R-L Partridges around Porter's Mill / Tapenhall this year I don't tend to count them on my list as they are clearly very 'plastic' - having been released from rearing pens at Tapenhall farm. However, this bird was 2.7 km from that area and I tend to count any birds that do turn up in the Salwarpe area. I realise it is a bit of an artificial distinction but it's one that I tend to use. It's always impossible to know the true provenance of birds like this. Some years ago I saw a Grey Partridge near Salwarpe but this, too, was tinged with some doubt as to its origins as wild Greys have been virtually extinct in these parts for at least a couple of decades.

My first Redwings (7) of the autumn yesterday.
Increasing numbers of Lesser Redpolls, including 4 feeding low down on seeds along a hedgreow near Tapenhall.
4 Swallows still in the area yesterday and 4 distant hirundines seen today.
Tufted Duck (eclipse drake).
Several small groups of Skylarks passing overhead.

2 Blackcaps, Chiffchaff, Siskins, Meadow Pipits, Grey Herons, Kingfisher, Grey Wagtails, Cormorant, Canada Geese, Reed Buntings, Coal Tits, Nuthatch, Mistle Thrushes, Song Thrushes, Treecreepers, Mute Swans, Green Woodpecker, Goldcrests, Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Song Thrushes, Linnets, Herring Gulls, LBB and BH Gulls, etc.

Butterflies included Red Admiral and Comma.

just popped down for the roost, 50+ pied wagtails, a single Canada goose, a small light coloured Sparrowhawk tried its luck along the hedge row by the canal at first before shooting across the reed bed. Water rail calling from one location..otherwise all very quite.

Wayne Dutton texted at 07:50:

"GREAT WHITE EGRET just flown off over Coney"

It was at Westwood first.

Unfortunately, I was driving to work at the time and I have a meeting this afternoon which means I won't get out until 6pm at the earliest.

If anyone can get down there today they might get lucky - especially if it flies over to roost at WW towards dusk.

Wayne Dutton texted at 07:50:

"GREAT WHITE EGRET just flown off over Coney"

It was at Westwood first.

Unfortunately, I was driving to work at the time and I have a meeting this afternoon which means I won't get out until 6pm at the earliest.

If anyone can get down there today they might get lucky - especially if it flies over to roost at WW towards dusk.

I could of but cant get a permit for Westwood but it certainly wasn't in view at coney that afternoon.

Highlights from this weekend:

Brambling - my first record on the patch for a couple of years - flew off towards High Park.
Cetti's Warbler calling from the reedbed near the screen this evening.
4 Mandarin Ducks flew from Hawford fishing pools this morning - attacked by a Peregrine (unsuccessfully).
Peregrine - one over Porter's Mill yesterday and another (or same bird) over Hawford fishing pool this morning.
Little Owl - Ladywood yesterday morning.
Tufted Duck - Hawford yesterday morning and Tapenhall fishing pool this morning.
Two Swallows still yesterday Morning.
My first Fieldfares of the autumn yesterday and many more today.
Six Red-legged Partridges near Salwarpe yesterday and 1 today.

Chiffchaff yesterday, Lesser Redpolls (10+), Siskins, lots of Redwings, Meadow Pipits, Grey Wagtails, Skylarks, Kestrels, Sparrowhawk, Kingfishers, Buzzards, Coal Tits, Goldcrests, Nuthatches, Treecreepers, MIstle Thrushes (largest flock 10), Water Rails (Coney and Hawford), Cormorants, Reed Buntings, Jays, Ravens, Bullfinches, Grey Herons, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Moorhens, Mute Swans, Mallards, House Sparrows, Linnets, Starlings, Pied Wagtails (~80 roosted Coney), BH, LBB and Herring Gulls, Rooks, Jackdaws, Greenfinches, Chaffinches, Goldfinches, Long-tailed Tits, Collared Doves, etc.

1 Bat (possible Daubenton's - had a pale belly) over reedbed towards dusk.

On Sunday afternoon, I flushed a Red-legged Partridge from the eastern end of Coney Meadow. ByAlthough I have seen many R-L Partridges around Porter's Mill / Tapenhall this year I don't tend to count them on my list as they are clearly very 'plastic' - having been released from rearing pens at Tapenhall farm. However, this bird was 2.7 km from that area and I tend to count any birds that do turn up in the Salwarpe area. I realise it is a bit of an artificial distinction but it's one that I tend to use. It's always impossible to know the true provenance of birds like this. Some years ago I saw a Grey Partridge near Salwarpe but this, too, was tinged with some doubt as to its origins as wild Greys have been virtually extinct in these parts for at least a couple of decades.

Yesterday evening a single red leg Partridge was on road in Salwarpe village, easy to approach and not streetwise at all. Will be surprised if it lasts long.

A fairly uneventful weekend on the patch. Birds recorded as follows:

Cetti's Warbler, Tufted Duck, Yellowhammer, Blackcap, Water Rails, Redpolls, siskins, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Kestrels, Grey Wagtails, Ravens, Kingfisher, Sparrowhawks, Stock Doves, Coal tits, Nuthatch, Goldcrests, Pied wagtails, starlings, Mistle Thrushes, Linnets, Buzzards, Grey Herons, Canada Geese, Cormorants, Redwings, Fieldfares and others.

Good sighting - patch tick Dave?

No I have seen them here before - including a flock of 4 a few years back.

A Green Sandpiper just flew up the valley, circled Coney then headed off in the Upton direction.

Just flushed a Snipe - my first this autumn on the patch.

Last edited:
After an excellent Saturday, Sunday was a bit of a disappointment - mainly due to the foggy conditions.

Notable vis mig on Saturday included dozens of Skylarks passing overhead, a large increase in Fieldfare numbers plus reasonable numbers of Redpolls.

The Green Sandpiper and the Hawfinch were both year ticks - my year total currently stands at 103 species for the patch.

A female Tawny Owl was heard and seen briefly in Salwarpe churchyard.

Other species recorded this weekend:

Common Snipe, Cetti's Warbler, male Blackcap, 2 Yellowhammers, Tufted Duck, Meadow Pipits, Grey Wagtails, Cormorants, Siskins, Sparrowhawks, Buzzards, Kestrels, Redwings, Treecreeper, Coal Tits, Starlings, House Sparrows, Goldcrests, Water Rails, Great Spotted and Green woodpeckers.

A fairly uninspiring weekend with mainly routine species:

Tufted Duck (Drake) at Tapenhall, 2 Yellowhammer (1 Tapenhall, 1 Salwarpe), Lesser Redpolls, Siskins, Cormorants, Grey Herons, Kingfisher, Grey wagtails, Sparrowhawk, Kestrels, Buzzards, Ravens, Treecreepers, Coal Tits, Goldcrests, Fieldfares, Redwings, Mistle Thrushes, Reed Buntings, Stock Doves, Linnets, Goldfinches, Mute Swans, Green Woodpeckers, etc.

A few insects still around - Hornets, White-tailed Bumblebees, Small Tortoiseshell.

Two Cetti's Warblers at Coney this morning - a sub-singing male and a female. The female showed briefly. Both by the east gate.

Male Blackcap also.

enjoyable walk down the canal,looked like cormorant followed me down to porters mill but mom & dad didn't follow the juvs

Attachments

• IMG_2389.JPG
    IMG_2389.JPG
    660.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2402.JPG
    IMG_2402.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2403.JPG
    IMG_2403.JPG
    899.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2399.JPG
    IMG_2399.JPG
    774.9 KB · Views: 55
few more from today
1st very busy hedgerow in Ladywood
4th a bit of a surprise for this late in the year?

Attachments

• IMG_2395.JPG
    IMG_2395.JPG
    890.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2404.JPG
    IMG_2404.JPG
    621.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2410.JPG
    IMG_2410.JPG
    780.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2412.JPG
    IMG_2412.JPG
    553.8 KB · Views: 66
No further sign of the Cetti's Warblers on Sunday - probably hidden deep in the reedbed in the windy conditions.

At least 3 Water Rails (1 showing well) along the canal between Mildenham and Hawford plus further birds heard calling from Coney reedbed.

2 Yellowhammers over Salwarpe, Cormorants, Blackcap, Mistle Thrushes, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Siskins, Redpolls, Redwings, Fieldfares, Stock Doves, Kestrels, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, Linnets, Greenfinches, Bullfinches, Goldcrests, lots of Coal Tits, Treecreeper, Reed Buntings and Grey Wagtails, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back