• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Etymologies (part 2); ...the end of the beginning (1 Viewer)

1944 Falco peregrinus wallichensis Bradfield

●Bradfield, R. D. 1944. New South African ornithological records (pamphlet).

Martin, Great job finding that one!
The name is that given by the British sailors to the bay when mapping and sign beaconing the West coast. This name was changed by the Germans.
Yet another typo!? :eek!:

For Walfish Bay (a k a Whale Bay) which was changed to Walvish Bay alt. Walwich Bay or Walwisch Bay, the latter versions from the Dutch Walvisch Baye (all referring to today's Walvis Bay, in Namibia) ...? If so I guess the name is coined after the Bay itself, not the town with the same name, located on its shores.

It´s Walfischbucht or Walfischbai in German.

See, for example; here, here and here (map of 1885, upper left corner, excerpt attached)
---

Attachments

• Map 1885 .jpg
    Map 1885 .jpg
    101 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Just a question as per todays entry julietae in HBW alive. Was this discussed here as Björn provided OD?

Unfortunatelly here is no relative of Herman Franz Otto Lipfert (1864-1940) mentioned. Here we can see he was married with a Anna

Australian passport, issued at Fremantle for Otto Lipfert and Anna, his wife

As well a Gertrude Olga Lipfert is mentioned.

Just a question as per todays entry julietae in HBW alive. Was this discussed here as Björn provided OD?
Nope, it wasn´t discussed her. I forwarded the OD directly to James in April this year, as I was made aware of the fact that he missed it, when I myself was checking out some names by Mathews.

Richard Adamson

Here

ADAMSON, Richard. GB165-0001
Accounts by a Palestine Police Officer of the Cairo conspiracy trial in 1919 and the riots in Jerusalem, Easter 1920. 7 sheets. Handlist

He has published Adamson, Richard. Egypt and Palestine: Account of the riots in Jerusalem, Easter 1920. Middle East Centre, St. Antony's College, Oxford.

Note: Cairo is not that far from Giza.

P.S. Anyone knows the names of the children from Edward John Lees Hallstrom (1886-1970) and Margaret Elliott Jaffrey (1887-1968) (one son and three daughters) all from here? The second wife Mary Mabel Maguire, née McElhone seems not related to Julietata.

Last edited:
I am not sure but think Wallichensis Bay could be todays Walvis Bay as it is the closest Bay I found to Swakopmund.
If wallichensis is a Latinized adjective, I would expect the bay to have been Wallich Bay, rather than Wallichensis Bay.
(Which is indeed just one letter away from "Walwich Bay", as cited by Björn.)

Julietata (Comment on Post No. 17)

Maybe something could be understood by Plate 93 of "Diomedea irrorata" (here) or its text [pp, 330-331, in A monograph of the petrels (order Tubinares), vol 2] by Godman [i.e. Frederick Du Cane Godman (1834–1919)], as both are mentioned in the OD of Julietata in Notes on the Order Procellariiformes (Well found, Martin!), there called "Julietata irrorata", sole member of this Genus … ?

Could the name in some odd way be connected to Wave or Waves as in "Waved albatross", or to the Greek ἴουλος (ioulos), downy (?) , alt. Latin iulus? Or if beyond any doubt a "Female eponym" a daughter or another relative of Diomedea (the warrior king Diomedes), one of his "white seabirds" alt. an unknown acquaintance of the (secretive and peculiar name-inventor) Mr. Mathews himself (like julietae) … or something else?

What do I know? It´s just some thoughts

Take it for what it´s worth.

Turdus philomelus nataliae BUTURLIN 1929

●Buturlin, S. A. 1929. Systematic Notes on Birds of the Northern Caucasus.
1929 Turdus philomelus nataliae Buturlin, p. 15
I tried to find this one on the internet, with no luck.

But I think (non knowing Eussian!) it´s this one:
Бутурлин С.А. Птицы Северного Кавказа. Систематические заметки о птицах Северного Кавказа Махач-Кала Ассоциация Северо-Кавказских горских краеведческих организаций 1929г. 43с. мягкая обложка, Увеличенный формат

Anyone any luckier?

But I think (non knowing Eussian!) it´s this one:
Бутурлин С.А. Птицы Северного Кавказа. Систематические заметки о птицах Северного Кавказа Махач-Кала Ассоциация Северо-Кавказских горских краеведческих организаций 1929г. 43с. мягкая обложка, Увеличенный формат
Yes, that should be it.
"Махач-Кала, Ассоциация Северо-Кавказских горских краеведческих организаций" is the editor, I think; I've seen it elsewhere cited as just Махач-Кала or as a single word Махачкала.
"мягкая обложка, Увеличенный формат" = paperback, large format. (You probably better leave this out of your search keywords. ;))
But, no, I haven't been luckier.

Julietata (Comment on Post No. 17)

Maybe something could be understood by Plate 93 of "Diomedea irrorata" (here) or its text [pp, 330-331, in A monograph of the petrels (order Tubinares), vol 2] by Godman [i.e. Frederick Du Cane Godman (1834–1919)], as both are mentioned in the OD of Julietata in Notes on the Order Procellariiformes (Well found, Martin!), there called "Julietata irrorata", sole member of this Genus … ?

And don't forget to consider Robert Cushman Murphy (whatever publication Mathews refered to, but I assume it is this one here):

It is the only equatorial albatross and as, Murphy pointed out is the only one of its kind which lays its eggs in May and June, all the others nesting in September-January. All these attributes make it the genotype of new subgenus Julietata, and we have Julietata irrorata (Salvin).

Just a guess July (Iulius) and no more breeding (or they may breed if they lay there eggs late in June)?

Last edited:
1918 Nutchera Mathews, Vol. 7, pt. 2, pp. 153, 160

As it was not mentioned in this thread here it might be worth to check as well this source again (ustral Avian Record, 3, 54, 72) as per HBW Alive today:

nutcheri

Etymology undiscovered; no explanation given (Mathews 1916-1917, Austral Avian Record, 3, 54, 72); doubtfully after the Nutcha or Ngintait, an Aboriginal people of South Australia (syn. Ardenna grisea, syn. Stercorarius pomarinus).

There is written:

Neonectris griseus nutcheri, subsp. n. Figured and described in my "Birds of Australia," Vol. II., pl. 77, p. 92. Type, Sydney, New South Wales.

But what's written in "Birds of Australia," Vol. II., pl. 77, p. 92?

Last edited:
...nutcheri: Mathews also named a skua nutcheri. S. pomarinus nutcheri 1917. Collected on Broken Bay N.S.W. I think the most likely source of the name is a person named Nutcher. There are a few people named Nutcher in Australia currently.

Last edited:
Thank you to the National Library of Australia:

Page 443, vol 2
Gygis alba monte -
I have examined specimens from Easter Island, Pitcairn Island, and Ducie Island which seem to represent another race, but from lack of series I forbear its nomination. Indian Ocean birds are referable to the Pacific Ocean type, having the bill of similar shape with the nostrils situated well forward, and dark shafts to the primaries, etc. They have as long bills as G. a. royana but the wing is noticeably smaller, rather less than Guam specimens of G. a. kittlitzi. For these birds I propose the name
Gygis alba monte, subsp. n. ; Indian Ocean, Seychelles (breeding).

Page 22- 23, Vol 5
According to my examination the birds from Celebes and the northern islands differ in their very slatey-blue backs and throats, and upper chest with very little spotting, and this bluish colouring pervades the colouring of the lower breast. I propose to name this form
Circus assimilis quirindus, subsp. nov.

Page 152-153
Halcyon badia Verreaux is a peculiarly puzzling species as we have no clue to its origin. It has peculiar coloration, being red-brown above and white below, the back is turquoise-blue and there is a greenish-blue secondary patch, the colour of the tail. The immature is similar, but shows dark fringes to the feathers of the chest. The wing-formula is not abnormal : the first primary is equal to the secondaries, shorter than the ninth primary ; the third, fourth and fifth are longest and subequal, the third probably the longest, the second longer than the sixth. The bill is all red, short and broad, more conical in shape than other members of the group. The tarsus is also proportionately shorter. I have been unable to associate it with either Halycon or Chelicutia so here propose Nutchera gen. no. for this species alone. It may be that it is a peculiar evolution from the Chelicutia stock, and it might be a derivative from the ancestors of smyrnesis, but it decidedly differs at present from either.

Anyway OD Halcyon badia here.

Last edited:
"quirindus"

Page 22- 23, Vol 5
According to my examination the birds from Celebes and the northern islands differ in their very slatey-blue backs and throats, and upper chest with very little spotting, and this bluish colouring pervades the colouring of the lower breast. I propose to name this form
Circus assimilis quirindus, subsp. nov.
I've no idea what the meaning may well be (it's not straight Latin, in any case) but, all the more intriguingly, Tom Iredale (a co-worker of Mathews, albeit not in any of these two cases) gave the very same name to a Muricid shell from New Zealand on the very same year: Xymene quirindus Iredale 1915 [OD].
This is apparently now treated as a synonym of Axymene traversi (Hutton 1873); the shell looks like [this].
Iredale didn't explain the derivation either. Nor did he provide any information about the derivation of his new generic name Xymene, by the way.

Just a guess could the name be related to Quirindi or at least the same etymylogical origin. Of course there is no relationship between Celebes and this town.

The name Quirindi comes from the Gamilaraay language, with a number of meanings having been attributed it, which include ‘nest in the hills’, ‘place where fish breed’ and ‘dead tree on mountain top’.

quirindus. Mathews. "…his name seems to be not classical, it being apparently a mistake for quaerendus?”
Novitates Zoological XXXVII 1931 p. 40.
E. Hartert.

Last edited:
To find here.

I am wondering why Halcyon badia is in Birds of Australia? The distribution seem to be Sierra Leone to eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, western Uganda, and northern Angola.

Even if Mathews wrote:

as we have no clue to its origin

The OD mentioned Gabon as place of collection. So no relationship to Australia.

Last edited:
Nutchera

I am wondering why Halcyon badia is in Birds of Australia? ...
Even if not connected to Australia I assume Mathews (with this, his suggested Nutchera badia), simply was trying to figure out the different Generic orders, excluding it from the various Kingfishers of Australia. But that´s only my guess. Simply based on what´s written in this thread. I haven´read the full context in Mathews's Birds of Australia.

However the etymology of Nutchera and nutcheri seems to remain in the dusk!

Björn

PS. Mark, excellent work, pin-pointing the mysterious quirindus (i.e. quaerendus)!
---

Last edited:
The author (Уварова) is most likely a woman (unless the name is quoted in the genitive case, but the probability for this is slim at best, I think).
Note that in Russian the mountain range doesn't appear to be "Bassez", but "Basseg".

Could the author be Борис Петрович Уваров (1888–1970) here?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back