• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pigeon eating mortar ? (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
the attached picture was taken a few days ago in the Bishop's Palace at St. Davids, Pembrokeshire

it set me wondering why a feral pigeon would be pecking at the mortar of the palace walls - could it be because of some nutrient deficiency, or maybe there's some particular tasty lichen growing on them ?

Attachments

• Img_2030.jpg
    Img_2030.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 32
There's more than likely some water?

'Pigeon eating mortar', pedantic I know but had an image of a bag of cement, swallowing a pigeon!

A

'Pigeon eating mortar', pedantic I know but had an image of a bag of cement, swallowing a pigeon!

to be pedantic as well, that would be pigeon-eating mortar, with a hyphen

but seriously, i didn't see any water + the mortar didn't appear in the right position to contain much if any at all

Hi,

Calcium to aid with egg production.

Ah, that makes sense!

I made a similar observation once, with pigeons and European Goldfinches picking at the sandstone walls of a medieval castle in France.

In some places, there were small round holes in the wall, big enough for a pigeon to put its head into and pick away. I suppose these holes were created by the picking birds over the centuries ...

Regards,

Henning

presumably the mortar used by the likes of Cadw for the historical buildings in their care is of a different composition from the type used in normal houses of today

does it contain more calcium ?

presumably the mortar used by the likes of Cadw for the historical buildings in their care is of a different composition from the type used in normal houses of today

does it contain more calcium ?
It'll be softer, easier for a bird like a pigeon to peck bits out without significant bill damage. Modern mortar is tough stuff!

Looks like a lime mortar - which I believe may be toxic? They’re well known for needing grit in their gizzards to aid with digestion - it may be that some of the tiny bits of stone in the mortar have been washed out and they’re eating them.

Looks like a lime mortar - which I believe may be toxic? They’re well known for needing grit in their gizzards to aid with digestion - it may be that some of the tiny bits of stone in the mortar have been washed out and they’re eating them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_mortar

Not toxic (it's just calcium carbonate + sand), and yes, softer than modern mortar. So it'll be good minerals for birds forming eggs - they do need a lot of extra calcium for this :t:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_mortar

Not toxic (it's just calcium carbonate + sand), and yes, softer than modern mortar. So it'll be good minerals for birds forming eggs - they do need a lot of extra calcium for this :t:

Having seen someone taken to hospital because they breathed it in and got it in their eyes I believe it’s quite dangerous stuff - but that may be when it’s in it’s fresh powdered form? As far as I remember it’s calcium hydroxide?

Having seen someone taken to hospital because they breathed it in and got it in their eyes I believe it’s quite dangerous stuff - but that may be when it’s in it’s fresh powdered form? As far as I remember it’s calcium hydroxide?
When it's new, yes, it is calcium hydroxide which is caustic (burns skin, because it is very alkaline), but it soon (within hours, or days at most) absorbs carbon dioxide from the air to turn into harmless calcium carbonate.

How do the birds know there's calcium in the walls?!
No idea, ask them!!

When it's new, yes, it is calcium hydroxide which is caustic (burns skin, because it is very alkaline), but it soon (within hours, or days at most) absorbs carbon dioxide from the air to turn into harmless calcium carbonate.

Thanks Nutty

Didn’t know something so caustic could end up as something quite harmless (or even beneficial!).

Don’t think I’ll be snacking on any soon though ;)

When I was a kid one of my mates who kept pigeons gave them stuff like this, which I remember contained oyster shells (for the calcium) - he gave it to both sexes of birds and also tiny flint chips! but I don’t remember bits of red brick (as in this stuff). Who knew pigeons are flying around full of masonry? 8-P

http://www.pallatts.com/natural-grit-3kg/

Could it be taking the grit to assist with gizzards, in the way woodpigeons are currently de-gritting rural roads at the moment?

Its good to see them taking time away from sex, which is rife in our local pigeon population (again) now.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back