• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hd (1 Viewer)

GPO website.
The "premium" model line is Passion HD. Next below is Passion ED. Last is just Passion (BTW, new line, Abbe-Koenig 56s).
Passion HD has "HD" (actually "Double HD") glass, Passion ED has "ED" glass, and Passion has, by default, just glass. See?

Barska website.
Here is "the largest selection of binoculars in the optics industry".
Many model lines.
The best is Level ED. Next below is Level HD!
Level ED has "Extra Low Dispersion" glass, Level HD just glass by default.

But Level HD at Barska is the second tier of many.
It seems that by HD any manufr. means better optics, and so the customer benefits.
The contradictions among manufrs. will be resolved I am sure.
Explaining further is risky.
A few days ago a TV commentator in a certain powerful country was trying to explain what its leader and his lawyer were each asserting, but lost his way, and exclaimed "What the [fudge] am I saying?"
So for the present I report, but do not explain, what they state.

Last edited:
Unfortunately marketing fluff doesn't always guarantee superior performance. When Allbino's reviewed the GPO Passion HD with its 'Double HD' system they actually found the Chromatic Aberration performance among the weakest in the class - despite what the manufacturer specifically touts in that regard. When placed up against the similar length, but several times cheaper Bushnell Legend M (Zen-Ray ED3 clone) it fared much worse !

Continuing the TV resolution standard theme the next step up the rung is 4K TV - the so called Ultra High Definition TV.

We already have notorious fluffers Leica floating around that concept with their UltraVid HD binoculars .... now UVHD+ (with the addition of HT glass in the prisms), and soon to be superceded by the new UVHD+ Super Dooper model ! :-O

Other serial fluffers Zeiss have their 'Ultra FL' lens system in the SF though no HT glass ..... yet ! 3:)

Cheeky upstarts Tract thought - aw, to heck with it ..... we'll just call our bins the Tract Toric UHD (Ultra High Definition) !! .... wonder if they have 4 times the resolution of other brand's bog stock HD models!? :eek!:

As any school kid knows the absolute ultimate can't be beaten thing is the Infinity to the power of Infinity plus 1 !!! 8-P
Think I'll go and trademark it just in case ...... "I2pI+1" TM LOL.

Chosun :gh:

Chosun Juan,
Too late. Click here.
But give these guys a break! You add or improve a model, and need a name which indicates a better model or an improved version. What is simpler than the widely though vaguely understood 'HD' or 'ED'!
PS. Maybe I should say: widely and vaguely understood 'HD' or 'ED'.

Last edited:
That GPO stuff is funny....but I told you guys not to buy into the GPO BS when they were first introduced....oh but they are run by former executives [shysters] from big boy manufactures....and I sure could not figure out how they got a nitch forum space here on BF almost B4 they were introduced....guess it boils down to who you know....

That GPO stuff is funny....but I told you guys not to buy into the GPO BS when they were first introduced....oh but they are run by former executives [shysters] from big boy manufactures....and I sure could not figure out how they got a nitch forum space here on BF almost B4 they were introduced....guess it boils down to who you know....

I think we share opinions of corporate executives. :t: It's just business all the way down. I've learned a lot about "alpha" binoculars in the last couple of months. Much of it is hype imo and geared to selling to the most people at the best profit. I got caught up in it myself. I'm a pretty easy mark at times.:-C Eventually I learn however. The cost of an education. B :)

Last edited:
I would imagine that "HD" means that most of all the element groups are achromatic doublets.

And I would guess that "ED" means that all element groups are achromatic doublets or higher.

What happened to FD and GD between these two marketing terms... I’d buy a pair if it came with some of those!! Problem with bins is that the darn things last forever (unless you abuse them or lose them in a closet)... companies have to keep finding ways to part punters with money to keep paying the bills. Not that there haven’t been some significant improvements in some areas of performance in recent decades.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back