• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars around £1000 (2 Viewers)

The problem with ebay for me is that you know the seller is paying 15% or more to ebay in fees. In effect YOU are paying the extra fee. You have to wonder why it's better to purchase that way.

It seems like the criteria is minimal false color at the price point, that should make it easier to sort out the options. A good goal IMO. I would try them all and check the false color in the middle and edge of field in bright sun.

Ok, a little update on my findings. My max budget is £800 (give or take maybe £20) which the Aurora's fall into albeit right at the very top. I'm still thinking of going for the 10x42 model, but I'm curious as to whether I should take a look at the 8x42 version as well. I might be able to get up to CleySpy soon or will have a look around near me to see if there are any in some shops that are a bit closer so I can check them out. Any other suggestions below £800 are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Evan
Typically 8s have slightly less false colour than 10s but the difference can be very minor and I'm not familiar with the Auroras.

Personally I'd avoid the Trinovid HDs if CA is a big bug near - they've got a lot of strengths but CA control isn't one of them.

Typically 8s have slightly less false colour than 10s but the difference can be very minor and I'm not familiar with the Auroras.

Personally I'd avoid the Trinovid HDs if CA is a big bug near - they've got a lot of strengths but CA control isn't one of them.
Ok, usually the birds I am looking at pretty far out on the marsh so I think I might stick with the 10s then.

Congratulations in advance of getting great binoculars!

After ringing my hands for many many months and after trying Vortex AK UHD 10x50s, Maven AK 9x45s, and Maven B6 10x50s, I chose the B6s. I’ve been actively birding with them for over a year now and I have been super grateful I made this choice.

I always have to wear glasses, so the eyecups are always all the way down. I say this because unfortunately the eyecups move way too easily - I’m lucky I don’t have to contend with them.

I think no matter the magnification, 50s are the way to go for birding always. I see the difference even in good lighting.

Good luck!

Lewis

Christ you lucky lad!!! There's a lot of choice in that price range. Strongly recommend trying out as many as you can, both new and high quality secondhand in different formats (casually mention you have £1000 to spend if the staff start clucking), and ideally in different conditions (sunny vs cloudy), and after you've done so, having a good think about what you like and don't like about them before you buy. Optics are a very individual thing and you may like a binocular that others can't get along with and vice versa. How you bird may also affect your choice - ie if you carry a camera or scope you may find a smaller x30 or x32 binocular more handy.

Ok, usually the birds I am looking at pretty far out on the marsh so I think I might stick with the 10s then.

You're really talking scopes if they are that far out. The difference between 8s and 10s is negligible at distance. By the time people have talked you into some hefty 10x50s you might as well be using a Kowa 501 with a small carbon tripod.

I think you need to have a long hard think about what you expect your new bins to be able to do.

The problem with ebay for me is that you know the seller is paying 15% or more to ebay in fees. In effect YOU are paying the extra fee. You have to wonder why it's better to purchase that way.

I don't think there's any logic to that at all (and the fees are nowhere near 15%). The reality is that the seller is paying the fee, because people just won't bid if a buy-it-now or the starting price is too high. And if you get carried away with an auction and pay over the odds... more fool you.

Maybe he's talking about brand new, I sold my NL 12x Pures and took a hit to get them sold more quickly. The buyer recieved a perfect pair of NLs at around £300 off of a brand new price, the fees and postage are my problem not the buyer.

You're really talking scopes if they are that far out. The difference between 8s and 10s is negligible at distance. By the time people have talked you into some hefty 10x50s you might as well be using a Kowa 501 with a small carbon tripod.

The TSN-500 are incredibly light, and optically surprisingly decent despite lacking ED glass. I'd recommend the straight TSN-502 over the angled TSN-501, however (I have both).

Another option would be the stabilized Sig-Sauer Zulu6 HDX 20x42. I got mine from Amazon UK, and yes, they are above the OP's budget and not a generalist pair of binoculars like 8x or 10x, but amazing nonetheless.

I think you need to have a long hard think about what you expect your new bins to be able to do.

I don't think there's any logic to that at all (and the fees are nowhere near 15%). The reality is that the seller is paying the fee, because people just won't bid if a buy-it-now or the starting price is too high. And if you get carried away with an auction and pay over the odds... more fool you.
Yeah I might be expecting them to be a bit too good. After all they will still be the same as my old ones just with much better IQ so should be able to see the birds better.

Edit: I really dislike carrying scopes around because I am definitely more of a photographer than a birder and carrying a scope around impedes me getting pictures, but on occasion I do carry a scope around if I am not too fussed about getting photos, but the vast majority of the time I don't like lugging a scope and tripod along.

Ok, a little update on my findings. My max budget is £800 (give or take maybe £20) which the Aurora's fall into albeit right at the very top. I'm still thinking of going for the 10x42 model, but I'm curious as to whether I should take a look at the 8x42 version as well. I might be able to get up to CleySpy soon or will have a look around near me to see if there are any in some shops that are a bit closer so I can check them out. Any other suggestions below £800 are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Evan
It really depends on how/where you plan to use the binoculars. 10x tends to have a narrower fov thus that might be too tunnel-like a view if you're in close quarters and/or trying to track a bird quickly. Focuser movability is also an important factor. You want to get to a point where you can reach for your bino and adjust it in a moment's notice. That split-second adjustability really makes a difference sometimes.

Honestly it sounds like you have you heart set on the auroras so go for it.

If I were in your shoes I would consider temporarily pocketing the 800 pounds and save up a little more to get something in the mid 1000s pounds range.

You mentioned you've been using a 10x42 pair for 2 years, so you should have an idea of what is too heavy for you. You also mentioned you like to photograph. So go to a shop and get an idea of what you want.

Some questions to consider are: is 42mm a good size? When you use 8x do you find your eyes desiring more magnification? When you use 10x do you feel it shakes too much? Sometimes 10x is nice but then fatigue sets in and the view becomes too shaky though things started off nice.

The zeiss conquest are at an 8% discount here

They fit your budget of 800 I believe.

My choice at that budget.

My choice at that budget.
If that were in the US I'd be sorely tempted to pick it up for myself!

I also saw some ten year old Ultravids on Ebay going for around the $1300 range.

Hi,

Infocus in Willow Farm Village has some nice 10x42 used Leica pairs within budget - and an 8x32 FL to try against...

Joachim

Ok, a little update on my findings. My max budget is £800 (give or take maybe £20)...

Evan

Which changes things a little - mum has docked £200.... have you been a naughty boy? :D I think your proposed visit to Cley Spy is the only way you're going to scratch this itch, especially if it moves from one place to another (£1k to £800) and from 10's to 8' or 9's, within the space of a week. That might be a result of your own uncertainty, or people sowing confusion by not listening to your original request.

If you are really that open-minded I'd say buy 8x32 Conquests, because that's what I ended up doing after shopping determinedly for 8x42's. But I was only able to come to that decision after three visits to Clifton Cameras to try a bunch of alternatives (including some Swaro's, which were in budget). In other words, don't buy on an individual recommendation - choose based on what your own eyes and hands (ergonomics are more important for [hand held] bins than for scopes) tell you.

Which changes things a little - mum has docked £200.... have you been a naughty boy? :D
Not quite, I mentioned the budget was what I thought would be £1000, and her facial expression immediately dropped and got quite stern :ROFLMAO:. The budget is definitely £800 and I will probably contribute a bit of it so that it is not just her spending all of her money :).
I think your proposed visit to Cley Spy is the only way you're going to scratch this itch, especially if it moves from one place to another (£1k to £800) and from 10's to 8' or 9's, within the space of a week. That might be a result of your own uncertainty, or people sowing confusion by not listening to your original request.
I think that it will be a fair few weeks before I can get to Cley Spy unfortunately, particularly because of all of the things revolving around my birthday, Mother's day etc. I think I am fully set on 10s, I don't think that I can justify getting the 8s as the vast majority of the birds that I am seeing are a fair distance away. It is very likely I will be going to be going for the 10x42 Aurora's, like I have mentioned a fair amount, and I will send some pics of what I decide to get when they arrive!

Evan

... I don't think that I can justify getting the 8s as the vast majority of the birds that I am seeing are a fair distance away.

Like I said earlier, be careful about what you can expect from your bins. The difference between x8 and x10 for viewing birds 'far away' is negligible and what you're describing is a job for a scope - honestly, if you want to get close, you might be better off buying a Kowa 501/502, which weighs next to nothing. Obviously, you're going to try before you buy... I don't want to sound patronising, but it's a lot of money to spend at such a young age and I'd hate you to end up disappointed. ;) You can't go wrong with higher end Opticron, so the Aurora is a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back