• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red billed, red eyed bird? (1 Viewer)

alperte

Last week at Asbury Park, NJ I saw a shore bird I had never seen before. It was definitely a shore bird, because when I saw it, it had a mussel in its beak. The bird was a smaller gull type of bird, but more black than white, and it had a 3 -4 inch red beak, which was narrow (and looked sharp) and a slight downward curve. But the most interesting thing about this bird was that its eyes were red - and I do not mean that it had a red circle around the eye - the whole eye was red. Just as I was about to take a picture, the other gulls came around and scared it off. I have googled it and looked and not seen anything that looked like this bird. Does anyone have any ideas?

OMG you guys are fabulous - that's the bird! How do you get to know them so well? And is it unusual for that bird to be up here on the NJ coast?

You gave a perfect description, Alperte; red eyes, 3-4" red beak, more black than white shore bird, plus mussel in its beak. I looked up American Oystercatcher as I'm only familiar with the one we have in Europe, it appeared to be a spitting image as I thought it would be.

Best regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back