• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie wanting to identify a bird (1 Viewer)

NW1

United States
I'm about 15 miles west of St. Louis, MO.

I just saw a bird I've never seen before. I could not get a photo.

Bright red overall like a male cardinal, possibly even a deeper red.
Larger than a cardinal, closer to a jay. Not as full as a robin.
No crest.
It had a dark gray mask but not as defined as a cardinal. The mask extended above the eyes, more all over the face but the outline was more "scattered"

Thank you!

Hi NW1 and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the ID forum, as they're better placed to be able to help you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on BirdForum!
I'm assuming you saw it in the U.S. but it is always a good thing to state where and when you saw the bird.
My guess is leaning on a male Summer Tanager but I'm sure others will have more suggestions ;)

"Bright red overall" does not leave too many possibilities. Summer Tanager, as KC Foggin has suggested, seems the most likely. Your description might fit Hepatic Tanager better, but that would be far out of range. If you have misjudged the size, which is very easy to do, House Finch, Purple Finch, or Vermilion flycatcher (also out of range) might be considered.

Both Scarlet and Summer Tanagers sometimes show some darker shading around the eyes. So I think it was one of those.

Do you remember whether the wings were red or black? If red, then Summer Tanager. If black, then Scarlet Tanager.

@ Indobirder
I'm about 15 miles west of St. Louis, MO.
I'm assuming you saw it in the U.S. but it is always a good thing to state where and when you saw the bird.
I agree with KC.
Not everybody in our wide world knows about the US state abbreviations, MO could also be the OP's name. St Louis is in France, Canada, Gaudeloupe, Reunion, Senegal and in Missouri USA plus 6 other St Louis something, including Saint-Louis-lès-Bitche — Wikipédia, France. No worries though, typing a comma and 3 letters USA, clarifies exactly where in the world a person is from. Saves unneeded stress...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back