• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern v. Himalayan Buzzard, Yunnan, china 2013 (1 Viewer)

Oregonian

Lee and I recorded Common Buzzard four times on our tour of Yunnan in February and March. There was a split in the eBird taxonomy this summer, and eBird changed the species to Himalayan Buzzard. But it may be that Eastern Buzzard is more likely. Does anyone know of field marks to distinguish the species?

I'll follow with photos I have, though they are not the best.

Himalayan or Eastern Buzzard, south of Xishuangbanna

Here is the buzzard we found on February 21, 2013. the photo is soft, and may not be identifiable, I know.

Attachments

• Buzzard 1 IMG_5563.JPG
    Buzzard 1 IMG_5563.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 53
Himalayan or Eastern Buzzard, north of Dali

Here's another sketchy photo, this one north of Dali on February 27th, 2013. Two others are a little better.

Attachments

• Buteo IMG_5950.JPG
    Buteo IMG_5950.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Lijiang--Lashixiang Nature Reserve, Yunnan, CN

On the 28th, we found this buzzard at Lijiang--Lashixiang Nature Reserve, Yunnan, CN.

Attachments

• Buzzard IMG_6051.jpg
    Buzzard IMG_6051.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 46
Kunming Botanical Garden, Yunnan, March 6, 2013

Again, this could be Himalayan or Eurasian Buzzard. Or another buzzard?

Attachments

• Common buzzard - closer IMG_6553.JPG
    Common buzzard - closer IMG_6553.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back