• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Palm Beach Sod Farms Shorebirding (1 Viewer)

csanchez7

On Wednesday, two fellow birders and I drove up to the Palm Beach Sod Farms to look for shorebirds. In three hours, we managed to tally over 18 species of shorebirds, many in large numbers, after just stopping at three locations along Hwy 880 (a flooded field between Duda Farms Rd and Brown Farms Rd was the best, but Roth Sod (Gladeview Rd) was also very good). Here are the shorebirds and some of the highlight species of the day

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (with ducklings)
Fulvous-Whistling-Duck (with ducklings)
Blue-winged Teal -- 4 (early)

Roseate Spoonbill -- 55

Semipalmated Plover -- 4
Killdeer -- 7
Black-necked Stilt -- 150
American Avocet -- 2
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs -- 7
Lesser Yellowlegs -- 175
Ruddy Turnstone
Semipalmated Sandpiper -- 20
Western Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper -- 50
Pectoral Sandpiper -- 7
Stilt Sandpiper -- 170
Upland Sandpiper -- 2
Short-billed Dowitcher -- ~10
Long-billed Dowitcher -- ~55
Wilson's Phalarope -- 5

Black Tern -- 20
Gull-billed Tern -- 3

Autumn shorebird migration is well underway.

Carlos

bulos,

Shorebird migration will continue throughout the month of August with good numbers into the first half of September. Some of the fields are pretty far away and not great for photography, but you can drive up real close to some of them if the gate is open. Great photo opportunities of a lot of usually uncommon shorebird species.

Carlos

bulos,

Shorebird migration will continue throughout the month of August with good numbers into the first half of September. Some of the fields are pretty far away and not great for photography, but you can drive up real close to some of them if the gate is open. Great photo opportunities of a lot of usually uncommon shorebird species.

Carlos

How do I find them I live in Davie.

Can anyone give me good accurate directions to the Sod farms I' dlike to go out there and look around. It seems the area 1.5 miles east of Duda Road on 880 is good for shorebirds and photography?

Can anyone give me good accurate directions to the Sod farms I' dlike to go out there and look around. It seems the area 1.5 miles east of Duda Road on 880 is good for shorebirds and photography?

Best I know of is the discussion of Everglades Agricultural Area here:

http://www.tropicalaudubon.org/locations.html#sod

It's a vast area. And part of the fun is driving around and seeing where the birds are on any particular day.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
There's a tour next weekend (check the TAS board that Jim gives a link to). Assuming Irene doesn't blow it out of the water...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back