• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birders from Florida, Anhinga/DC Cormorant ID help needed (1 Viewer)

loranfrfr

Took these pictures a few days ago of a possible Anhinga / or double crested cormorant. We have been debating for days now about the id of this bird.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16970154@N07/

The tail seem way too short for an Anhinga, so now we think DC cormorant. Could anyone repost the question to your local listserv? Anhinga would be state record #3, so we need all the expert opinion we need!

It looks good for an Anhinga, and the behavior sounds right -- Anhingas, surprisingly, are very accomplished at soaring to great heights. I see nothing wrong with the tail or neck to discount Anhinga.

I have never seen a Double-crested Cormorant soar (we have many of them, as well). Flight has always been direct with frequent flaps.

I will repost this on the Tropical Audubon listserv.

Carlos

It looks like a perfect Anhinga to me. As Carlos stated, Anhinga's like to soar. I've actually seen kettles of them (up to 25 birds) here in North Florida. I've also never seen a DCCO soar anywhere. The tail and neck don't seem short at all. Congratulations!

Yep Anhinga for me too. Heres a pic I took of soaring DCCs in Florida this spring, note the more prominent head profile and broader base to the neck. Also tail profile poss. shorter on DCC than Anhinga?
Congrats
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_3373web.jpg
    IMG_3373web.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Coming from a guy who monitors cormorants - that looks like an Anhinga to me. Wing shape and proportions look wrong for D-C Cormorant.

Also, I've never seen a cormorant soar. I've seen Anhingas soar countless times.

Not the expert, but hope this helps.

-RJ-

Carlos

Flocks of Anhingas have been seen here in Missouri recently! The photos taken of then soaring here look very similar to your photo.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back