• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bongkot Gas Field - Thailand (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

I ALREADY TAKE COVER BEHIND MY DESK! Stupid question and should be easy to ID. But I am presently at the middle of Gulf of Thailand and I have no bird books or any good internet.

I spotted one Tiger Shrike this morning on the installation. I also spotted the attached bird that is very weak. So I suspect it is a migratory bird that have had a long flight behind.

Sorry for poor picture! I had to use an explosion proof camera but it is for ID purpose only.

The bird was almost turning around in not too strong wind. I wanted to catch the bird and my hand was 2 cm away when the bird wobbled away. I wanted to bring the bird to a room with some apples etc to give the bird some strength.

Even if it is a seed eater I took the chance to crush some biscuits and I hope the bird can eat so it can continue the flight in to mainland Thailand.

Anyway, anyone that can be so kind to ID the bird from the poor picture

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• Unknown-bird.jpg
    Unknown-bird.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 75
Would think this is one of the Arctic complex. Maybe the yellowish supercillium and rather bright green upperparts suggest Japanese/ Kamchatka but I don't know if it's possible to be sure from this picture.

Thank you all

The bird is still there and when I tried to catch it the second time I spotted green, almost yellow on the back above the tail. It is olive green on the back but in flight there is the green/ yellow spot. Maybe 30 to 50% up the back.

I will see if I can get the bird tomorrow as it is very weak. Any suggestions, I would go for apple and cut grapes for the bird, maybe the bird likes the seed. Any suggestions would be appreciated as it don't look like the bird likes my crushed biscuits.

Kind regards
Aladdin

I think I would consider Two-barred too - the extent of the greater covert wingbar is hidden by overgrown feathers.

I think I would consider Two-barred too - the extent of the greater covert wingbar is hidden by overgrown feathers.

Thank you!

I looked at the bird and at first I thought it was a grey spot. But you are right, look like a bar. Looking for pictures on internet and the green warbler come up both with the grey bar and without the bar over the wing.

And the Green Warbler is not in Thailand according to the range map. But the Two-barred Warbler is in Thailand according to the range map.

But they look so very different on all the pictures.

Kind regards
Aladdin

Thank you all!

I will see if I can see the bird again (But hopefully the bird have taken off towards the mainland) to try to get better pictures. But the EX camera is really not for bird pictures.

I have internet via satellite so it is not very quick, but a picture search show that the Arctic is a little grey on the side of the head. Pictures of Two-barred have both birds with yellowish side and grey side of the head.

But for me they look the same and I cannot see the difference. I studied the birds on Wikipedia but there is really not much. Especially about the Arctic and the different complex I learned about here.

I will continue my search.

Kind regards
Aladdin

I'm not really familiar with Two-barred Warbler, so perhaps shouldn't have commented. Looking again, your bird is too long-winged for TBW and its supercilium is too narrow, especially above the eye. Also, if you look really carefully, you can just about make out the dark smudge on the lower mandible, although it's weak. You might find this article useful - I know I did......

https://www.researchgate.net/public...red_Greenish_Bright-green_and_Arctic_Warblers

I'm not really familiar with Two-barred Warbler, so perhaps shouldn't have commented. Looking again, your bird is too long-winged for TBW and its supercilium is too narrow, especially above the eye. Also, if you look really carefully, you can just about make out the dark smudge on the lower mandible, although it's weak. You might find this article useful - I know I did......

https://www.researchgate.net/public...red_Greenish_Bright-green_and_Arctic_Warblers

Thank you!

I will read the article and I will hopefully learn something. So I will go for the Arctic Warbler.

Thank you all again
Kind regards andhappy birding
Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back