• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Museum specimen ID help-3 (1 Viewer)

ACO

Last three from the current batch; what we have for each:

1 & 2) Labled English Pheasant Hen

3 & 4) A. arucn

3) Lynannidae

B2229-1.jpg

B2229-2.jpg

Attachments

• B971-1.jpg
    B971-1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 92
  • B971-2.jpg
    B971-2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 68
  • B2055-1.jpg
    B2055-1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 92
Have to agree with female Reeves Pheasant, the second bird is a lark but the bill looks too fine for A. arvensis and the third, for some reason, says Bonelli's Warbler ( probably wrong but the margins of the remiges look "right" and it looks as though the bird could have had a rather greyish wash to the back in life.)
Chris

Have to agree with female Reeves Pheasant, the second bird is a lark but the bill looks too fine for A. arvensis and the third, for some reason, says Bonelli's Warbler ( probably wrong but the margins of the remiges look "right" and it looks as though the bird could have had a rather greyish wash to the back in life.)
Chris

Ok, the pheasant is done.

Skylark; the idea on the missing letters on the label seems to fit, as does the feather pattern on this specimen. Will look at this further.

The third I think I will need to get better photos.

Thanks.

I don´t agree with Chris that the bill is to fine for Skylark. IMHO also the wing projection, lenght of tail and the feather pattern fits. The hood is misplaced as the feathers are sleeked to the cheek.
Jm2c

Looking at the second photo of the Lark, structure and upperpart patterning do seem to fit A. arvensis. Perhaps my view that the bill looked rather fine could be an artifact caused by the age of the mount / stuffing technique. Where was the bird collected, as that could have bearing on the biometrics?
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back