• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arenal Observatory Lodge, Costa Rica ID help (1 Viewer)

Tonkin14

Thanks for looking! Here is a batch from my stay at Arenal Observatory Lodge in early June that I can't definitively ID. I appreciate your help.

1, I want to say female Cherrie's Tanager, but it doesn't look like the range extends that far north.
2, Cowbird sp?
3, 8, two Thick-billed seed finches?
4, Bronze-tailed Plumeleteer?
5, Red-lored Parrot?
The last couple, maybe female Scarlet-thighed Dacnis?

Attachments

• Arenal 3.JPG
    Arenal 3.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 39
  • Arenal 1-1.JPG
    Arenal 1-1.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 35
  • Arenal 1-2.JPG
    Arenal 1-2.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 27
  • Arenal 20.JPG
    Arenal 20.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 34
  • Arenal Lodge 2.JPG
    Arenal Lodge 2.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 33
  • Arenal 17.JPG
    Arenal 17.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 33
  • Arenal 12.JPG
    Arenal 12.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 32
  • Arenal 9.JPG
    Arenal 9.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 34
  • Arenal 8.JPG
    Arenal 8.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 33
  • Arenal 7.JPG
    Arenal 7.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 32
  • Arenal 4.JPG
    Arenal 4.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 35
Possibly melodious blackbird rather then a cowbird sp and possibly variable seed eater as bills look smaller and more roundish. You also have a Montezuma oropendola in the parrot photo (top left hand corner)- agree with red lored. Possibly crimson collared tanager rather than cherrie's? Also agree with scarlet thighed dacnis.

Last edited:
suggest Rufous-tailed Hummingbird for the images labeled 8, 12, and 17
Curious about the one labeled 8--with the pinkish feet, I thought this was a sure bet for Bronze-tailed Plumeleteer? For 12 and 17, do Rufous-tailed hummers have the white or grey that I'm seeing?

I am not sure whether "8" truly has pinkish feet, but the tail seems too dark for Rufous-tailed Hummingbird. I would not be surprised if the Plumeteleer turns out to be correct.

The other two I think have too much rufous in the tail to be most other hummers. Light and wind might be causing some effects there.
Niels

I am not sure whether "8" truly has pinkish feet, but the tail seems too dark for Rufous-tailed Hummingbird. I would not be surprised if the Plumeteleer turns out to be correct.

The other two I think have too much rufous in the tail to be most other hummers. Light and wind might be causing some effects there.
Niels
You're likely right on the Rufous-tailed. I have much trouble with hummingbirds because they look completely different colors at every turn. Here is a picture of clearer pink feet of another individual that I saw in a nearby location at a different time.

Attachments

• DSC_4113.JPG
    DSC_4113.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 8
You're likely right on the Rufous-tailed. I have much trouble with hummingbirds because they look completely different colors at every turn. Here is a picture of clearer pink feet of another individual that I saw in a nearby location at a different time.
Good for you! On the other picture I am just not sure that the tiny red blob is a foot.
Niels

Niels
Yes, also bill looks long for other species and there's the tail shape

Users who are viewing this thread

Back