• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Museum Specimen ID 6-10 (1 Viewer)

ACO

Here are another 5 specimens that need to be properly identified.

Attachments

• Bird-6.jpg
    Bird-6.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 67
  • Bird-7.jpg
    Bird-7.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Bird-8.jpg
    Bird-8.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Bird-9.jpg
    Bird-9.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Bird-10.jpg
    Bird-10.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 60
do you have any locations for them? i'd like to say Streaked Spiderhunter for 9, but that's assuming its Asian, and not a South American Honeyeater...

I'll third the spiderhunter on number 9 and offer an idea for number 8: male Ruddy-breasted Seedeater? #6 is very vireo-like to my eye.

Carlos

Mangrove Vireo looks like a good candidate for number 6.

I'm not positive about the seedeater but am leaning towards Ruddy-breasted because the ear coverts are the same color as the upperparts (would be like the underparts on Tawny-bellied). Is there a location for this bird (number 8)? Ruddy-breasted occurs in Middle America and northern South America whereas Tawny-bellied occurs in central-southern South America.

Another bird that mostly occurs in central-southern SA is number 7- Red Pileated Finch.

I agree on the spiderhunter and tanager.

Mangrove Vireo looks like a good candidate for number 6.

I'm not positive about the seedeater but am leaning towards Ruddy-breasted because the ear coverts are the same color as the upperparts (would be like the underparts on Tawny-bellied). Is there a location for this bird (number 8)? Ruddy-breasted occurs in Middle America and northern South America whereas Tawny-bellied occurs in central-southern South America.

Another bird that mostly occurs in central-southern SA is number 7- Red Pileated Finch.

I agree on the spiderhunter and tanager.

-----------
#8 (seedeater) The data for this specimen:

Sheramphiles minuta, Male, Collected: Frances alt. 2,000 ft. 10-11-[19]05

So, the species name matches for Ruddy-breasted Seedeater. If yes, where is "Frances alt. 2,000 ft"?

[Birdingcraft] Another bird that mostly occurs in central-southern SA is number 7- Red Pileated Finch.

Good one again:
Original data card has:
Coryphorphingui cristatis
Collected: Vietomia (anyone figure that one out?) May 2, 1902

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back